Would my camcorder survive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Earlier this year i got my Canon Vixia HF200 HD Camcorder, i got it for when i went skiing about 2 weeks after i got the camera, i was going to originally use it to record some runs down the slope while holding the camera. However seeing as it was near enough new and cost me over £500 i didn't have the balls :tongue:

But i intend on trying it this year, but do you actually think it would survive ? or would it be shaken to death ? remembering it does use flash storage so i should be okay in that area. I was more thinking about 0 to -20c and the potential bumpy ride it may endure on my decent :cool:

If it should be okay, i'll probably risk it. If there is no chance of it surviving, i'll probably have to pick up one of these rugged HD sports cameras.

Black diamonds are easy, even the doubles are not too bad, however it is the ones that say "Warning" that are the fun ones that it may or may not survive lol.

Also, Don't bring it from 73f to like -10f right away, let it adjust a bit to the large temperature difference.

Black diamonds are easy, even the doubles are not too bad, however it is the ones that say "Warning" that are the fun ones that it may or may not survive lol.

Also, Don't bring it from 73f to like -10f right away, let it adjust a bit to the large temperature difference.

You should try Black runs in the alps. When i went to Whistler, BC the black runs were fine. They were barely as hard as reds in resorts like Chamonix, Avoriaz etc. I don't dare do blacks in the Alps yet (I've only been skiing like 3 or 4 times, for a week each time) but intend to try one this year.

I don't think i'd be recording a red run, let alone a black run. MAYBE a red run but its unlikely, i like holding my poles :)

i have wondered about this as well, i snowboard and my main concern is if i wipe out.

Well thats what you get for snowboarding. The number of times snowboarders fall over outweighs skiers by a ratio of about 10 to 1 :p Anyway i'd be holding my camcorder in my hands and leave my poles somewhere, so if i fall it would probably be okay unless i was going like 50mph. That reminds me of when i came off the tale end of a red run, bowled it straight down a blue run, then accidentally went in some 1foot deep powder with hills. Man that was scarey. I hit the first hill totally unprepared and went flying and landed on my neck :( It was like a 30meter walk back up the slope to fetch my ski's. Thank god it was deep powder or that would of been pure painful.

Well I wouldn't say black diamonds are easy. I tried skiing once, first trail (and only) trail I went down was a BD and honestly I don't mind doing 100 on a sled but no thanks to skiing

Yah, I can't speak for the alps, all I have done were the rocky mountains here in the US, and occasionally the Smokey Mountains (as I go to college in them) (rather boring there in general). However I have been skiing for like 14 years (extensively) and lettered in it back in high school lol.

I try snowboarding on occasion, however I rather dislike it, last time I was out I somehow managed to break my nose with the board lol.

When skiing with a camera, I definitely recommend leaving your poles, I tried it with poles once, and I did fall on one and almost broke a few ribs, I would say play it reasonably safe and ski within your limits without poles and you should be fine.

Also, as far as skiing goes, it is possible for just about anyone to ski just about anything as long as they play it safe in the beginning, they will grow more confidant and capable. The only runs I am not willing to try is "back" runs with exposed chunks of rock, tried one once and if I had not had my helmet on, I probably would have cracked my skull (made a really nice dent in my helmet and cracked the covering plastic lol). Oh, and even if you fall, your camera should survive, provided you don't land on it, and provided it is not the first thing that hits the ground, it should be able to handle the potential rolling and moisture (Provided proper care is taken after it does get snow on it). Perhaps try sealing the majority of it in a bag with only the lens really exposed to prevent moisture from getting on the controls. It my look silly, however it would be protecting a rather substantial investment.

It depends... Yes, once you are used to skiing with cameras you know the tricks. I used to do it for a living and skied while shooting with my Sony Digital Betacam DVW700WSP and a mass of batteries, i used to wear a battery belt under my Jacket to keep it warm. This is the sort of thing I did:[video]http://www.beardigital.tv/en/SkiingCameramanDemonstrationClip.wmv[/video] That's just a couple of clips from a half hour documentary I made.

Good old Crested Butte

I'd say put it in a water proof case and make sure it's tightly secured to your head or chest.

"I'd say put it in a water proof case and make sure it's tightly secured to your head or chest."

I strongly recommend that you don't do that as the plastic bag will cause condensation inside the lens and on the recorder head. Condensation is a big problem with ski shoots.

I would not secure the camera to your head or chest, the best way to shoot is 'hand held' at waist hight and on a wide angle lens. Safety wise, if you catch an edge and plant yourself the camera is going to go into the snow with your weight behind it. It is not safe for you or the camera; from the odd experience the best thing to do is let it go where it may skid on the softish surface, but away from you. Pick yourself up retrieve the camera, blow the snow off it and dab it dry. I haven't damaged a camera that way but i did once get a spectacular shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom