video card to help image processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
during my recent trip to fry's i walked by a matrox graphic card.
today i was sitting picking my nose for few minutes while waiting for thumbnails to generate then i opened the windows live photo gallery and then photoshop.

and i can hear my PC is definitely struggling.

will a graphic card aimed more at image processing help with my current setup?

and if yes then which one should i get to have the optimum performance?

in other words the one that will not be overkill but also not a bottle neck.

specs are in my signature

IMO, if anything is a bottle neck in your system, it's your processor, not your graphics card. The GPU is old, but shouldn't struggle what so ever to display thumbnails and regular desktop items.

BTW, that noise is either your hard drives thrashing, or, a bad fan. >_>

during my recent trip to fry's i walked by a matrox graphic card.
today i was sitting picking my nose for few minutes while waiting for thumbnails to generate then i opened the windows live photo gallery and then photoshop.

and i can hear my PC is definitely struggling.

will a graphic card aimed more at image processing help with my current setup?

and if yes then which one should i get to have the optimum performance?

in other words the one that will not be overkill but also not a bottle neck.

specs are in my signature

I'm not working much with photos and such on my computer. But I've heard that a pair of graphiccards will really improve the quality and speed on your graphic. Allthough a pair of graphiccards isn't good for playing games. But it's really nice for imaging, either you are working in photoshop, flash or something like that =)

what video card can i get that will improve the image processing then?

because im up for a video upgrade anyway since my current card cannot handle the 1080p MKV video files it skips and lags...

i just upgraded the motherboard and memory few months ago so that stays for some time.

would replacing my 6600gt with this help in image processing?
PNY VCQFX580-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 580 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

the quadro fx are made for multimedia right i dont really care about gaming my latest game is tron2.0 so idont think i would need a general cosumer aimed card for this pc.

On a windows computer with a64 bit OS, Photoshop uses the video card to apply filters such as lens distortion correction, liquify, and the other cheesy filters in the drop down menu, along with zooming in and out. That's it.

Your video card isn't going to boost the performance of viewing pictures on your computer.

If you want to be able to sift through pictures and edit them faster in lightroom, PS, or just view them, you need a much faster processor, at least 4GB of RAM, and fast HD's.

I saw a guy with an i5, 4GB of RAM, and a solid-state HD, and lightroom practically popped everything up instantly.

I just with that they were higher capacity and not as expensive.

ok i see.
i thought that all the image processing was done by graphics card not the cpu.

im talking more about RAW format editing they are fn huge files and as of now it takes about 30sec to a minute to completely load it at 1:1 zoom.

i do have the WD raptor as my system drive.
but since its not advised to use the system disk as a scrap drive for photoshop im using the 1TB drive that has all my videos on it since its the one that gets accessed least during normal operation.
i have separated my system,music,videos,images etc on separate physical drives
i also limited my recycle bin and system page file to system drive.
but i dont think that my wd raptor is running at full sata speed

what would you suggest for CPU? somethng moderately priced.

I did Windows 7, an i5 750, and 4GB of DDR3, Radeon 5770, my 1.5TB drive is 7200RPM and things are pretty quick. What camera are you shooting? huge difference between a D40 and a 5DII.

In LR when i bring up CR2's off of the 1Ds Mark III, it takes about 4-5 seconds to load the full res preview, 3 seconds for my D700 running 14-bit uncompressed, and about 1.5 seconds to load my D70s NEF's.

LR3 won't open the fff's i have from the Hasselblad, but i'd be curious to see how long it takes those to open up at about 140MB a picture.

So yeah, there's a difference for file size.

so that means each core is 2.5 ghz right?
would more cache make much difference in my case?

the 6600gt is SLI capable would it be any help if i ran 2 of them instead of buying another video card? they are probably cheap by now.

so from what i red here and there
the amont of RAM plays the major role in how fast the processing is.
then the CPU speed
then HD speed
and then graphics card

correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom