Stream video to cloud?

seojacksonville

Beta member
I'm going on holiday in the not-too-distant future, and since it will involve a fair bit of driving in a picturesque location, I wanted to capture my travels on video.

Sure, I could just buy a dashcam, but since the trip will also involve a fair bit of sightseeing outside the car, I thought it would be great if I could find a device capable of uploading video to the cloud in real time that I could use in/out of the car.

Basically, I'd rather not have to buy a couple devices, juggle a bunch of memory cards, and go through the work of uploading the day's video to my laptop or external drive.

Not sure where to start, so I thought someone here might have a good suggestion that would keep me from spending hours trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

What camera are you using? If it's an iOS or Android device, both of those offer free automated cloud backup of photos and videos. If it's a compact camera however, there's a bit more of a challenge.

There are solutions such as EyeFi that will automatically copy the media you capture to a device of your choice - provided it's in range. If you use that, there will be a small amount of manual work to do (essentially, copying the media destination folder to a cloud storage service of your choice).

If you can install either Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive software and have either a Microsoft or Google account (respectively), then those both offer automatic uploads of all pictures and videos. You can even choose to have it only upload once you've connected to Wi-Fi so it doesn't suck up your data plan.

Perk with Microsoft and OneDrive, if you choose the auto uploads, you get an additional 15GB of free storage, making it a total of 30GB. So, there's that.

Back
Top Bottom