Strange SD Card Issue

IntelFanboy417

In Runtime
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else could help me with this problem.

Recently, I took my camera out to take some pictures with the family, however once I got back to the house and plugged the SD card in, I realized 75% of the photos I took disappeared. I also saw some strange looking folders like the screenshot below, and when clicked windows said it could not open the directory.

ss66.png

So at first I thought maybe the card was corrupt, so I downloaded a software called "Zero Assumption Recovery" Data Recovery Software, Solutions, Tutorials, Forum - ZAR Data Recovery

Ran the software, it dug up a few old files that I deleted a long time ago. But none of my recent photos were found. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? It seems to be corrupted, but what could cause it? I always eject and my camera seems to be functioning alright.

Also can anyone suggest a way to get the data back, I could really use some tips. Thank you. :)

How old is the card and how often is it used?

You could try something like Recuva to see if it can get pics back...but if it's corrupting data, there's not much of a chance of getting anything usable back even if it does recover pics.

Almost looks like it could have been encrypted. Does you camera have encryption capabilities? If you put the SD card back in the camera, does anything show up from there?
Have you had this SD card in any other computers?

Last edited:
How old is the card and how often is it used?

Strangely enough this card was pretty new, I'd say 4-5 months old, with very low usage.

Joe C said:
Almost looks like it could have been encrypted.

Coulden't find any encryption settings in the camera, however I've tried loading the card back into the camera, and its not even recognizing the card anymore. Guess it was corrupted. Thanks for the help guys!

Strangely enough this card was pretty new, I'd say 4-5 months old, with very low usage.

Coulden't find any encryption settings in the camera, however I've tried loading the card back into the camera, and its not even recognizing the card anymore. Guess it was corrupted. Thanks for the help guys!

The SD card/ data is 100% corrupted, sometimes a "single" file can corrupt a SD card/ USB stick as I actually found out last month. A colleague had a pptx that got corrupted while saved on a usb and completely lost everything and couldn't even open it up as it would prompt with formatting it, and even after I formatted the USB, Recuva would bring some data but around half would be corrupted. So that was a lose :cool:

Back
Top Bottom