Official Tech-Forums Post Your "Picture of the Day" Thread! (56k Warning)

^^

I know what you mean hikaricloud, i've been trying to take my camera with me me more, but the problem is that it's too large. I can't really fit it in my bag alot of times, and i'm not going to carry around a D700 everywhere, that'd be ridiculous.

I dunno, i'm going to try and get a Panasonic GF1 pretty soon, got a coupla invoices I gotta turn in and that will help with the cost. I have a friend with the gf1 and with the 20mm, you can fit it anywhere, and it's still pretty petite with the 14-45.

My problem is I can't find my old camera, thus I can't find my camera bag...and I don't have the money to grab a new bag. :(

I have an old bag that's a little big, but if I can put something soft in there to brace it, I may be able to drag it around with me. My main problem is I work waaaaayy too much now. :(

^^

I know what you mean hikaricloud, i've been trying to take my camera with me me more, but the problem is that it's too large. I can't really fit it in my bag alot of times, and i'm not going to carry around a D700 everywhere, that'd be ridiculous.

I dunno, i'm going to try and get a Panasonic GF1 pretty soon, got a coupla invoices I gotta turn in and that will help with the cost. I have a friend with the gf1 and with the 20mm, you can fit it anywhere, and it's still pretty petite with the 14-45.

why the GF1 over other micro four thirds?
was there something I missed?

why the GF1 over other micro four thirds?
was there something I missed?

The G1 and GH 1 are too big, not to mention, the GH1 is too expensive. I don't need 1080 video, but would like some sort of video. The G1 doesn't have video. 720p AVCHD on the GF1 is a good compromise.

I also want a camera that's built more like a rangefinder, that way when i'm taking pictures with a group of people, it looks like i just got a really cool looking point and shoot, not a DSLR. Not to mention, the GF1 with the 20mm pancake can fit in a pocket, the G(H) 1 can't, no matter what you do.

The GF1 is FAST. you hit the shutter, and it just shoots. EASILY faster than any point and shoot ever made, yet is still the same size.

I can get a GF1/20mm f/1.7 kit for $720 through Panasonic employee incentive.

The LCD screen on the GF1 kicks butt. Live view that's second to none. High resolution, high frame rate. stellar.

The contrast detect AF with the 14-45 racks from min. focus to infinity faster than alot of lenses on my D700. It's actually quite uncanny how fast it is.

Optional viewfinder. I want to get this, but when I want to be more "average joe six-pak" i can take it off, but when it's daylight, or when i want to be more subtle, i have it in a pocket.

I can fit the GF1 with the 20mm or 14-45 in my book bag and carry it with me everywhere i go its so small, something i can't on a G1, let alone my D700.

The AA filter on the GF1 is weak, at ISO100 shooting RAW, it's got higher acuity than my D700.

IMO one of the easiest menu systems ever.

The "intelligent auto" is good enough that i feel confident that if I hand the camera to my mother, she'll take some really great pics with it and not have to touch a thing.

It's got a pop up flash!!!

the 20mm f/1.7 is reason enough to get the GF1.

Now what about the Olympus EP-1?

I love olympus color, I think it's a **** of alot better than nikon color, that's for sure. Not quite fuji color (pretty much perfect), but it's pretty good.

The retro look is cool, fo sho.

ISO 1600 at least looks ok.

in body stabilization, very useful, IBIS with a 20mm f/1.7...sweet.

However, i wish it came in black. the retro is cool, but not my style.

The 17mm pancake ain't that great.

The LCD resolution blows for a 3-inch screen in an $800 camera in 2009.

AF isn't up to par like the panasonics.

the good lenses (read Panasonic lenses) look retarded on it.

No viewfinder option except a half-assed optical joke for just the lousy 17mm.

easily the most difficult and cryptic menu system i've ever used.

doesn't have the acuity of the GF1 because of a heavier AA filter.

AF in video is useless.

No pop up flash, it's going to be used more as a point and shoot, i need a flash, and i'm not putting one on the hot shoe. it defeats the purpose of a small camera.

So yeah, I think the GF 1 would be the most useful as far as size, AF, video, general ergonomics, viewfinder, pop up flash and LCD screen. I want a point and shoot that I can create images (even if its at ISO 100/200) and print 16x20 with detail that can compete with my D700. I want a point and shoot that does decent video. I want a point and shoot that i can actually have depth of field control with. I want a point and shoot that's FAST. The GF1 is EXACTLY that.

It's DSLR quality in a point and shoot sized body. It's the camera i can take everywhere with me and create images with a level of quality that's up to par with my standards.

Can I get myself a fuji F200EXR and call it good? yes. and it will fit some of my needs. But as -amazing- as that camera is as a point and shoot, it still can't print or give me the speed or depth of field of a larger format body. I would never be satisfied with the results and therefore i'd always leave it at home.

lol "get my drift?"

good info, thanks

I was actually checking out the Olympus EP-1 and the Ricoh GR iii couple months ago
and the EP-1's low LCD resolution turned me off too
G1 and GH1 are indeed too big :p I didn't even consider them cause of their size
at that size, I'd rather go with a APS-C sized camera

in the end.... I decided to just stick with my old point and shoot as pocket camera :sweat: (wallet is thin, hahaha)

that employee discount sounds sexy:cool:

back to posting pictures
i1logl.jpg

Did a photoshoot for a family yesterday. This one of my favorites out of the group. Some of them are on flickr, but most are not done yet.

4023072101_72ece024b9.jpg

There's a couple other good ones...

The first is kind of amusing because the planes served in completely different theaters of war.

And the second is very special because that is one of only 2 P-38's still flying.

That's cool, i didn't know there were so few, i bet trying to find parts for that thing is next to impossible!

Back
Top Bottom