Hey im Tom and i have a question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uktrbuk

Beta member
Heya guys im Tom, new to this forum, looking forward to participating in some discussions :D

I have a question atm... me and a friend wanna go on a photography trip for about a week, the one problem though is image space, we only have 16GB cards and these may be filled, we dont really want to buy anymore cards, rather we would like to know if there is anything that we can plug cards into that auto downloads the images so we can wipe our cards and then start snapping again.. tanx guys :)

I know there are some "picture viewer/storage" things out there with card slots, but they are a bit pricey.

What cameras do you have? With my Rebel XS, I can shot about 750 RAW photos on an 8gb card, if that gives you an idea. If you're shooting in RAW, you may need another card, but you can still hold a lot of images on 16gb as you can see. If you're shooting in JPG, you are even better off, LOADS more pictures will fit.

16gb is quite a lot even for a 10+ mega pixel camera. In a pinch you may need to delete some pics that are not keepers. If you have a laptop you are set.

You should also be able to find a camera shop that will burn them to dvd for you at a cost of course.

If your going on a city break or anyware that has a lot of tourist spots you can use one of them pay for a disk machines that kodak have.

Hefe said:
You should also be able to find a camera shop that will burn them to dvd for you at a cost of course.
You can do this at Walmart. ;)

Epson makes digital media readers with hard drives in them, i think they're up to the P6000 now. They're kind of expensive, but alot of landscape/wildlife/editorial photographers use them when they dont' have access to a computer. They can even read the RAW files from the newer cameras like the D3s, and 1D4.

Otherwise, like what saxon said, just 1 hour them onto a DVD.

If you're shooting RAW, i'd just get more cards, if you're shooting jpeg, you'll be fine.

Solution = Cheap Netbook with an actual hard drive.

You can get a netbook with a 150 gig hd for ~300$. Almost all of them have card readers built into them. Not to mention the battery life is extremely good so you would probably get by with not charging it the whole trip if all you did was store the pics and turn it off.

I recommend the ASUS Eee series. In particular I have the 1005-ha. I think they've upgraded since I bought mine though. Check out cnet.com for the editors choice in netbooks.

Hope this helps ^.^

My sister managed to get some thing called a "Wolverine Drive".
It was a portable self powered 160Gb hard drive. You could transfer the photos.

Otherwise, Laptop or Netbook with a card reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom