Aperture question! ( using a finepix S3200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippy_rocker

Baseband Member
I recently purchased a finepix S3200 which is my first serious camera. I'm not very familiar with using the aperture, shutter, or manual modes. I am looking to learn how to get this kind of effect with my camera: http://www.problogger.net/wp-content/aperture.jpg. I have the basic understanding of what the aperture and shutter settings do but can not seem to get the effect i would like. It also seems like i do not have a full range of settings when it comes to the aperture mode. For example: when i go to set the aperture it only give me two options to choose from f8.0 or f3.1. Any tips, advice, or simple tutorials on how to achieve this effect and set my camera modes correctly would be great thanks!

I think you want a shallow depth of field? read more about DoF here.

choose the bigger aperture (f3.1) and get close to your subject. depending on how close, you might want to try macro mode if your camera has the feature.

ok thank you! any tips on how to focus on a certain subject close up for example what was shown in the picture i posted? i have a point and shoot camera so i do not have the option of manually focusing on one particular area when i'm trying to do close ups, and when i try to focus on for say the center of a flower like the one shown in my post i can't really focus on that particular subject a lot of time the middle will be blurred but the petals are in focus when in fact i'm trying to get the opposite effect.

We use f8.0 at the studios, and f11.0 or f13.0 in the church division. Of course, the other settings are pretty specific and are set up to work with the way the lights are placed and such.

Fat.Clown is right, though... you would be better served working with the focus and composition.

Thank you for the advice. I am not sure if my camera has manual focus or not i am under the assumption that is does not. But could you elaborate on the composition aspect, and if there is any way for me to adjust the focus that i may not be aware of.

Thank you so much both of these videos has helped me out a lot hopefully i can get to some picture taking tomorrow so i can practice what i've learned you've been a big help!

share some practice pictures when you get the chance to :)

I am no pro myself, just dabble a little bit.
maybe some one more knowledgeable will help you out more by tomorrow.

I will when i find the time in the next couple of days to. Hopefully i will find an adventure to go on i tend to like taking nature pics a lot. I am however going to take this one step at a time and the videos that you showed me i think are just what i need to start getting the hang of what i'm trying to achieve. You have been a big help so far and again i thank you. All advice is helpful though too. I'd love as much advice as i can get. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom