Adobe Illustrator won't open: Not enough memory - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Digital Photography and Imaging
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thumbs up Adobe Illustrator won't open: Not enough memory

It's a Windows 7 professional 64bit machine, with 4GB RAM. Everytime I try to open Adobe Illustrator, it show an error message during the splash screen, saying not enough memory. I restarted and still have the same problem.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Adobe Illustrator won't open: Not enough memory

How much RAM do you have free when you try and start Illustrator up? Open up your Task Manager and see what your resource usage is, and watch it as you open Illustrator to see how high it gets.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Adobe Illustrator won't open: Not enough memory

• Save the file to your local (C) drive, which will decrease the potential for issues. Open the file in other versions of Illustrator if possible. Placing the file (using the “File > Place” command) into a blank document may also work, although it may require some minor edits to restore the file to its previous specifications (ungrouping, resizing, re-linking source files or changing color mode).
• Open the file (if possible) and print as a Postscript file by choosing "File > Print," then choose "Adobe Postscript File" as your printer and click "Save." Open the exported PS file in Illustrator.
• Select “Object > Path > Cleanup”, then go to the “Layers Panel” menu and select “Paste Remembers Layers.” Select the artwork and copy, then paste into a new file.
• Launch Adobe Acrobat (any version except Reader) and attempt to open the Illustrator file from within Acrobat. If it opens, make a minor edit using the “Select” tool (if possible). Save as a PDF and an EPS,and export as an EPS by clicking "File > Export > Postscript > Encapsulated Postscript." Open these files in Illustrator, or place them into a blank file if opening fails.
• Eliminate potentially corrupted elements (swatches, brushes, symbols, links, fonts) one at a time and save the file (under another name) to isolate the issue; reinstall the fonts, create outlines, select all elements and convert to process black. Delete all imported elements and custom elements, such as symbols, and remove custom brush strokes.
• Open Illustrator (the same program version that was used to create the corrupt file); save a blank file in the same format (AI or EPS). Close the file and change the extension of both to TXT (not necessary on Mac) and open in a text editor, such as Notepad. Note the point in the corrupt file where the valid data begins: it will be numbers and letters rather than symbols. In the good file, find “%%BeginData” and copy all data before it, then replace the bad data in the bad file. Save, close, and change the file extension back to AI or EPS, and try opening.
• Open the file in Photoshop or place into a new blank page in InDesign. This may enable you to salvage text or critical file elements, which you can export back into Illustrator.
• A final resort is to purchase a third-party program or service that salvages damaged files, for example Easy .ai format opener, having a friendly interface and small size[/url] AI Open File Tool
Old 07-28-2015, 04:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thumbs up Re: Adobe Illustrator won't open: Not enough memory

In case if didn't aid you, then visit couple resources for getting info about your issue...
http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/...-files-5628071
http://www.instructables.com/answers...r-file-needed/

Copying Artwork into a New File

Click the File drop-down and select the "Open" option. Locate the damaged Illustrator file to open it in the program.

Drag a box around the artwork on the screen with the Selection tool.

Click the Edit drop-down and select the "Copy" option. Click the File drop down and select the "New" option to create a new file.

Click the Edit drop-down and then select the "Paste in Front" option.

Click the File drop-down and select "Save" to save the new file.