50D vs. 500D (T1i)

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4x3r

AKA ComatoseClown
Some pros and cons of the 50D vs 500D (T1i).

Now keep in mind that the 500D is of the Rebel lineup and is considered more prosumer, whereas the 50D is in between professional and prosumer. The 50D also has the same interface as the professional lineup, so if you decide to upgrade to professional you wont have to relearn.

Things better on the 50D:
Better Body, environmental seals and metal body
Better Ergonomics
Rear Dial Wheel
Separate AF-On button
1/8000 vs 1/4000 shutter
1/250 xsync Flash vs 1/200
AF-Micro Adjust
Better AF - 9+6 invisible (All points cross-type) vs 9 pt with center point only cross-type - not a sports shooter however the 500D does have predictive AF (there's some confusion on what this is precisely. In the 5D predictive AF turned on or off the 6 invisible points. The 500D does not have 6 invisible points - of course reviews are only just coming out so only time will tell exactly how good the AF is on this or not)
Pentaprism vs pentamirror and bigger viewfinder
Customizable WB (Kelvin)
CF Card (could be plus or minus)
PC Flash port (for off shoe and radio poppers)
6.3 frames per second continuous vs 3.4
Silent shutter mode + Quieter shutter box (none on 500D with a nosier shutter box)
Multiple RAW mode options (only one on 500D)

Pluses for the 500D:
Almost Half the weight 480g(16.8 oz) vs 822g (28.7 oz)
HD Video (and 1080p no less)
SD Card (gives you the option to use Eyefi cards - WOOT)
Supports IR remote (no more cables is always good)
$150-500 cheaper (body only)
Smaller compact body
Newer Sensor (This is based on the 50D sensor but it's a new sensor - could be good or bad. Bad if they are trying to trump the Nikon D90 if it is the same sensor according to DxO marks)
3.5% spot metering (vs 3.8% which would give it a little more precision, but we are talking 2/10ths of a percentage point)

HD Video at 1080p is limited to 20fps. Seems like the engineers had to compromise so they could slap the 1080p spec on the box. The problem with the Rebel T1i/500D/Kiss X3 is that it is released too expensive. Canon had the same problem with the 450D. However, I can't really call it problem since they fly off the shelves due to Canon's name. If video isn't needed, get the cheaper 450D.

Or if you find a good deal on a 50D, just grab that. :p

There are a lot of things that are the same between the 500D and the 50D...

-- Same sensor
-- Same image processor
-- Same ISO sensitivity
-- Same auto ISO
-- Same noise reduction
-- Same auto lighting optimizer
-- Same Menu UI

So it works in a pinch, if it was a bit cheaper. But there are quite a few pros to getting the 50D as Matt has pointed out.

50D for sure. This will be my last body for a while. The only other thing I could see going to would be a 5dMKII for FF, but really no need for it now.

Oh man, I would kill for a 5D MkII. :(

But for the time being, perfectly satisfied with my XS. ;)

Bah ! Stupid thread, now i want a good camera :D I was going to get a HD Camcorder, but now a new cameras tempting me.

Is the Canon 50D pretty much the best camera in the <£1000 price range ?

D90 still has reached Nikon's limit, that's the techonology. 12MP is becoming outdated toward the end of 2008, considering a FOV DSLR camera. In addition to that, Nikon D90 still gets stuck with the 12-color-bit depth why not moving to 14-bit instead ? Perhaps, the noise issue? For the video camera, why don't you buy a video camera instead of a DSLR ?

Canon 50D has acheived beyond what D300, D90's big brother, performed. Consider 15MP, on the full frame scale is approximately around 30MP something; I'd say that even the mighty Canon 1Ds mark III, released 8 months ago, has been bested by that. With the pricing of 50D around $1,299, even the new upcoming Nikon D400 will have a hard time for that range. The price of new Canon 50D will be even below what Nikon D300 is selling now. With the new digic 4, some pros who previously tested the camera in July mentioned that the focusing speed is as fast as 1D mark III.

The D90 looks to be attempting to be the "next logical step" for those people that have cut their teeth on compact digital cameras and are "shocked" to find that when they go to move to a dSLR that their "expensive" camera doesn't have some of the functionality of their little compact camera. It attracts the same market space of people that bought Nikon because "that is what Ashton shoots."

The 50D is targets more to the mid-market. Those people that would probably prefer to shoot a 5D Mark II or a 1-D series camera, but can't justify (or afford) to go to that live... a true mid-market.

Nikon D90 and Canon 50D aren't in the same comparing category at all.

D90 still has reached Nikon's limit, that's the techonology. 12MP is becoming outdated toward the end of 2008, considering a FOV DSLR camera. In addition to that, Nikon D90 still gets stuck with the 12-color-bit depth why not moving to 14-bit instead ? Perhaps, the noise issue?

noise issue? the d90 has the same noise handling as the Nikon d3 and d300. and i didn't put them in the same category either the 50d is a much better camera agreed the d90 is aimed more at photography students or enthusiasts who are passed the entry level range of cameras but as you mentioned cannot afford a d300, 50d or any better. for the price of what the Nikon d90 is it has incredible value and performance, and yes the 12mp sensor is inferior to the 15's but we dont need it. the d3s has a 24 mp sensor so Nikon is very capable of equip ting sensors with higher mp's.

Nikon D90 Compared to Canon EOS 50D and D80, D300

that is a very good read comparing the 50d d90 and d300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom