[WOW] How do I increase my FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Firstly I know that WoW has a max FPS of 60. However I just got both my Sister and her BF a ATi Radeon HD 4850 1Gb Video card, but I am currently not happy with the frame per second they are getting. Currently they are getting about 20 FPS on Yogg-saron (heroric). Any way in which we can improve this?

System specs are
AMD Athlon x64 Dual Core 5600+
2Gb DDR II Ram
Gigabyte Motherboard
ATi Radeon HD 4850 1Gb Video card
Windows Xp Pro Sp3 (SP2 in the case of Her Bf)

Any suggestions?

Make sure all the latest drivers are installed, and set the priority of WoW in task manager (assuming Windows) higher.
Also obviously OCing but I doubt that system is built for it (though OCing the 4850 a bit with something like RivaTuner should yield a few FPS).

What resolution is she using? Lowering it by 1 will improve her frame rate.

I've never played WOW but if it has a frame limiter then there may be a way to disable it. Look in the WOW folders for a .cfg file. If you find one do a page search for fps, frames, etc... If your lucky you may find something like MaxFrame=60 or Smoothframe=60 or something simular. If you find something simular but your just unsure post it and we'll have a look see :D

You can't disable the 60 FPS soft limit in WoW, and there is no need to. A 4850 should be able to max everything, I have everything maxxed on my rig (sig), on 1920x1200, and I never drop to 20 FPS except when in the biggest city hubs, but nothing will save you from that. My friend with an i7@4.0 and a 295 drops in the new hubs too.....

Firstly I know that WoW has a max FPS of 60. However I just got both my Sister and her BF a ATi Radeon HD 4850 1Gb Video card, but I am currently not happy with the frame per second they are getting. Currently they are getting about 20 FPS on Yogg-saron (heroric). Any way in which we can improve this?

System specs are
AMD Athlon x64 Dual Core 5600+
2Gb DDR II Ram
Gigabyte Motherboard
ATi Radeon HD 4850 1Gb Video card
Windows Xp Pro Sp3 (SP2 in the case of Her Bf)

Any suggestions?

There is no max FPS in PC games. WoW will skyrocket on a good system unless you have VSync turned on (makes your FPS max at your monitor's refresh rate). Most people on good systems get a decent amount of FPS over 60 and I've even seen one that got over 500. Which is irrelevant honesty, the average human can only see 30-60 frames per second anyway hehe.

EDIT: If there is a hidden cap on your FPS type /maxfps 100 (this will raise the hidden cap to something that you will probably not exceed in most situations.

Also, you have to remember WoW is an MMO, there are thousands of people online and that causes server lag which can hinder the performance of your computer.

EDIT2: Check your shadows slider!!!!!!!!!!!! Currently there is a bug with the wow shadows that makes the game stutter even on the most advanced systems if you turn the shadows up to max. Try turning them down a bit.

to maximise your fps without buying upgrades is to lower ya video settings on wow itself and it should increase it by heaps, and you cant really tell when half of them arer on anyway except for the glow effects.

I've read a couple of times on this forum that WoW sometimes gets worse FPS with higher-end cards. However I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I remember some person complaining consistently about getting like 14FPS on WoW and like 30 FPS constant on Crysis and other games.

Another issue could be excessive amount of people on the server or, possibly Network lag causing FPS Spikign

lol im constantly on 14fps on wow and i have dowload in the background. i think it comes down to like most games your fps is affected if you are downloading at the time.

i dont know about the higher end cards though

I cant play wow for te moment because some jerks been on my account unauthorized and blizzard mergerd my wow account with a battle net one and i have to wait for them to fix it up.

I'm running WoW maxed out 1440x900 on a MacBook Pro with the 9600M GT Gpu and I'm not having any unordinary FPS drop. In a big instance with a lot of spells going on with a lot of players, you're bound to have some pretty severe FPS drops.

WoW will skyrocket on a good system unless you have VSync turned on (makes your FPS max at your monitor's refresh rate). Most people on good systems get a decent amount of FPS over 60 and I've even seen one that got over 500. Which is irrelevant honesty, the average human can only see 30-60 frames per second anyway hehe.

Erm, no. At least during the 3 years I played WoW. 60 FPS is/was hard coded. You can get PEAKS, but it reverted back to 60 almost immediately. I tested this several times. Maybe now it is different, but for years 60 was a coded limit.

EDIT: It seems that there are now ways around this limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom