What is it about WoW that makes so many people addicted to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like
And I think people find it so addicting because its easier to accomplish things, and there is always new stuff to do, new people to meet, or a new class to level. And if you're bored...just wait for the next patch to come out.

thats exacly it no matter what if your bored new content is coming no other game has this much support. you also have to realise wow is relatively cheap to play yes 15$ a month how often am i upgrading my pc to play it??? never lol money saved right there. if i game on a console i pay 7$ a month for xbl i rent games for 10$ a pop and i buy most new tittles that come out with wow i just pay 15$ a month thats 50 cents a day if you buy a new midrange gpu that works out to almost being 1$ a day to play games for the next year not to mention you actually have to buy the games. and like i said if your really bored try pvp, every match is something diferent because every person is diferent. and i can tell you nothing is more fun then world pvp.

My friend's girlfriend actually refused to go out to eat with us because she had to go on some raid with her WoW clan. I will never understand a person who chooses a video game with other online people over people that are standing in their room.

I'll admit I got obsessed with 1 RPG when I was at home with my parents and had nothing better to do - Final Fantasy VII. I still wouldn't ignore people while playing it.

Oh I'm so glad I found this thread as I love to whine about WoW.

Why is WoW addictive?

1. The graphics appeal to a wide range of gamers
2. The gameplay is extremely simple to understand and learn, but hard to master.
3. It's the only 'Pop culture' MMO out right now. Mr T and Ozzy Osbourne both play *sigh*

So as we can see, it's not really a good game, it just appeals to more people than any other.

The community in WoW is terrible and that's being generous. The average age of a WoW player is about 14 from what I understand, so unless you enjoy hearing 'zomg n00b I can't do my instance now Mums callin me' every day, then may want to pick a different MMO. Oh, and let's not forget the endless gold sellers bugging you and the countless ways people try to hack your account.

If you like MMO's there are plenty good ones to choose from (LOTRO comes to mind first, as it uses the exact same game engine as WoW but has better graphics and a better community)... I've actually played *most* MMO's through their level Cap and found WoW to be the most disappointing.

Can't wait for TOR to come out!

well i can tell you my server is full of arrogant 30 year olds lol. the game imo has a very high level of quality put into it so to say its not really a good game is very much an understatement. the game has to be good no matter how easy it is to play or it will never sell. the ammount of time put into this game compared to others is quite insane aswell. yes they have a 15$ a month fee, but there are hardly any bugs and when there is it is usualy hot fixed quite fast, always new quality content coming out, and so so much to do that is why this is so popular. you cannot tell me that there is 1 other game o this planet that gets so much effort put into it from a developer stand point. the guys that make wow love the war craft universe where as you compare it to things like lotro or war hammer how many guys in there staff truely love those universes? i can tell you that anyone working on the wow dev team is definatly a die hard warcraft fan, wich in the end when some one really cares about something delivers a better product.

well i can tell you my server is full of arrogant 30 year olds lol. the game imo has a very high level of quality put into it so to say its not really a good game is very much an understatement. the game has to be good no matter how easy it is to play or it will never sell. the ammount of time put into this game compared to others is quite insane aswell. yes they have a 15$ a month fee, but there are hardly any bugs and when there is it is usualy hot fixed quite fast, always new quality content coming out, and so so much to do that is why this is so popular. you cannot tell me that there is 1 other game o this planet that gets so much effort put into it from a developer stand point. the guys that make wow love the war craft universe where as you compare it to things like lotro or war hammer how many guys in there staff truely love those universes? i can tell you that anyone working on the wow dev team is definatly a die hard warcraft fan, wich in the end when some one really cares about something delivers a better product.

Spoken like a true WoW Fan Boy.

I'm going to assume you actually haven't played other MMO's. Cause anyone I know that has played a wide range of Pay-To-Play MMO's, rates WoW near the bottom.

LoTRO and EQ are two right off the top of my head. EQ went strong for over a decade, and the world they created was 10x more complex and Lore driven than WoW... So how can you say WoW Devs love their game the most?

It's a 'good' game because it appeals to so many people. I think hardcore gamers have a lot more fun with other Titles. I played WoW up till after BC came out, it is a fun game, I'm not dissing on it, just saying it's not the best by far.

Spoken like a true WoW Fan Boy.

I'm going to assume you actually haven't played other MMO's. Cause anyone I know that has played a wide range of Pay-To-Play MMO's, rates WoW near the bottom.

LoTRO and EQ are two right off the top of my head. EQ went strong for over a decade, and the world they created was 10x more complex and Lore driven than WoW... So how can you say WoW Devs love their game the most?

It's a 'good' game because it appeals to so many people. I think hardcore gamers have a lot more fun with other Titles. I played WoW up till after BC came out, it is a fun game, I'm not dissing on it, just saying it's not the best by far.

rofl that is where you are wrong my friend i was a heavy guild wars played i really got into lineage 2 back in the day and beta tested warhammer online closed beta. i have played star wars galaxies aswell as everquest and tbh this is from having played all those mmo's i like guild wars the best not gonna lie. but wow is definatly my second favorite mmo out there. im not big on fanboyism, and most things i say are usualy from informed research or personel experience. and i never said it was the best either, but you blatenly said the game was just not a good game that is the only point i was adressing .

i can certainly tell you lotro doesnt have as many die hard fans as wow does on there dev team.

it is always wrong to assume buddy it makes an *** out of u and me.

p.s. i have also played ff11 a few years ago wich was pretty good as well

Feel free to skip over this, I know it is long, Just some insight into my head as to why the games are addictive, and me defending wow a bit.

I'll jump in... I always hate these discussions lol. Let's do this Rehab style...

Hello, My name is chad, and I was addicted to MMO's for about 5 years.
It all started back it 2005, I am not quite sure what caused me to dabble in MMO's, Perhaps it was the appeal playing onto my still developing brain. No matter how it happened it did, It was a day just like any other when I overheard people talking about this awesome new game called 'Guild Wars'. I was intrigued, as it appeared everybody else was doing it. So, I went out and bought guild wars, almost from the get-go, I was hooked, and it was not too long and I was the leader of one of the highest ranking pvp guilds in the game with over 100 members and officers below me, with the reputation as "an awesome runner'. In less than a year and a half, I quickly logged about 2,000 hours of gameplay before the lack of new content and aging graphics took its toll on me, I needed a new rush, so I resigned as head of the guild (a quick note, it is still around as one of the few original guilds left in the game (I started that :D)) and began looking for a new fix. By that time, wow was very prolific and was the game of choice, while being a little less small group oriented, and a little less pre-planning required, I figured it would be a bit easier and less time consuming. It did in-fact turn out to be the case, however with endless armor upgrades and leveling, I quickly became consumed into the familiar downward spiral and things began to get out of control. They went on like this for about a Three years, with around a 6 month break somewhere in there where I dabbled in several other MMO's, such as LOTR, Warhammer, FF, and one other. Before I knew how far I had fallen, I had a level 80 druid, 80 Shaman, and 80 Rogue, all with Epic armor of various assortments and was half way through getting "The Insane" Title (all of which totaled around 5,000 hours (ZOMG! 208 days!!!) . Then I went to college, the internet there was not conducive to play on any system or any game, as it blocked connections to multiple servers, so there I was, fortunately (This part is actually true lol) there was a club there called "Life after WoW" which was a group founded to help people find new hobbies now that was was unavailable.

Since then my life have been more productive, I have since been able to get a job with all the time left, as well as form a new club, which throws boomerangs... (I know, beastly right!)

Point being, wow is not a bad game, as I still chose it over the others, allot of it is a sense of community you can only get when half the rest of the planet is playing the same game. Please do not confuse what I am saying with "WoW is the best MMO EVER" I did not say that (IMHO, Guild wars is), just saying it is not a bad game, and while I am by no means a fan boy (never really was, just gave most of my life to it lol) I will defend the folks at blizzard because they seldom make bad games, and when they do they put allot of time and effort into getting it right (IE: starcraft 2, it was announced when? 1999? Lol)

PS: I have been clean of MMO's for almost 11 months now :D

What makes those people addicted is mainly power because the reasons people do these raids is to get power, and the blizz took advantage at that making it 15$ per month.

I really have nothing to add to the conversation, so admins feel free to shut this down, I just can't believe this thread's going 1.5 years later.

Currently my Pen And Paper Role Play Game Group is toying with the idea of playing World Of Warcraft Pen'n'Paper Role Play Game version. Yes, they did publish a set of rules that can be used with Dungeons And Dragons 3.5 Edition.
The Game Master is a big WoW junkie. The other members in my RPG groups seems to be okay with the idea provided that he keeps the amount of references to in game humor down to a minimum. Like any thing beyond a Leeroy Jenkins reference is going to be lost on every one at the table. Problem being is that most of the group are make of Ex-WoW and Non-WoW players. Like I an Ex-WoW Player (stop playing at TBC) and some of the crap he's rattling off is lost on me too.

My comments was that I we better be doing some thing epic as I refused to waste a Saturday night role playing silly farming and gathering quests. My other comments where out of all the the campaign setting we could be playing with DnD 3.5Ed or 4Ed rules, why do we have to play the World Of Warcraft Setting? Personally I rather be playing Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk or even Dragonlance.

Etherways, I really don't me presenting myself at the dinner table if this does go ahead.

I really have nothing to add to the conversation, so admins feel free to shut this down, I just can't believe this thread's going 1.5 years later.

I say keep this thread alive. it's give some of us Non-WoW / Ex-WoW player a place to vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom