Guild Wars anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
I can remember when this game first came out and I was excited about it. I was sucked into WoW at the time so I never had a chance to test it but I've heard some good things about it. What are some experiences you guys/gals have had with it and would you recommend it? The biggest plus for me is the fact that it is free to play!

What is that game like? I have a few people mention that game. I know a few of my ex-wow friends seem to go back to GW when they have out quested WoW.

[EDIT]Oh... I have just noticed that they do have trial accounts. I might look into it this week end after my bandwidth gets reset.[/EDIT]

What it is not is a grind fest, which is why people tend to like it, and I guess others who enjoy the grind don't. I played it for about 3 years, thru every campaign expansion. It is, IMHO, one of the best MMORPGs around. It is designed specifically so you don't have to grind, and the developers are ver involved with the player base and doing what is best for the game and players, and not themselves.

While all the towns and outposts are real time, all the combat area's are instanced. So everytime to leave town, you get your own instance of the game. Basically you put your party together in town then set off to go do something, whether it be a quest, mission, or farming in your own instanced world.
The game can be done solo if you wish. You can add hero's and henchmen to your party if you don't feel like playing with anyone else, or add a couple here and there, so there's no waiting hours and hours to put a party together just to do something.

What makes it different from other MMORPGs is that level and equipment are not as important as skill and game play knowledge. This game is very much based on strategy and less on high levels (the level cap is 20) or armor and weapons as the best armor and weapons are easily acquirable.

Instead of overpowered equip, GW features more artistic equipment. Your characters looks and higher price armor set the prestige and something to aim for after you complete a campaign. After you 'think' you finish the game, there's a whole world of things to do, titles to aquire, armor and weapon arts to seek, not to mention re-play value of the game with a different class is very high. I've beaten each campaign on about 6 different characters, everything is was enjoyable and not stale or boring even after doing it again and again. Each class offers a totally different type of gameplay.

GW2 is set to release sometime in 2010. It will feature more real time environments mixed with instanced game play. Currently, since I have already gone thru just about everything in the game I'm taking a break from it till GW2 is released.

I sound like an add for guildwars, but it really is a great game.

Oh yeah, then there's the whole PvP aspect of the game which is all about skill and not about level or equipment, again as to avoid grinding. You can hope right into PvP from day one.

guild wars is by far the best mmo i have yet to play. spent 6 months in wow, never got into it to much. beta tested war hammer I did enjoy it, but not as much as gw. Gw just has this special feel to it, i like the enviroment and world much more then wow, and i find gw has a more mature feeling to it.

Playied last night. Considering that there is no monthly fees, I am rather impressed with it. I do like how you have can 2 professions in that game. I am currently on a trial account. What's PvP like? Is it where you can get ganked any where any time? Like Conquer Online. Or is there set area PvP areas.

I might pick up the game via Steam at it works out cheaper than purchasing the game locally.

I have noticed that I can purchase the Guild Wars Trilogy (Guild Wars + Factions + NightFall) via Steam for US$49.99. However what this Eye Of The North Expansion? And how come that's not on steam too?

GW2 is set to release sometime in 2010. It will feature more real time environments mixed with instanced game play. Currently, since I have already gone thru just about everything in the game I'm taking a break from it till GW2 is released.

Mostly like GW2 will be out in Late October, Early November 2010. They normally like bringing out MMOs just before christmas. So I should have more that 12 months of play.

One thing that does annoy me about this trial account that I thought I might share with you. I might be active for 2 weeks. However there is only so many hours you can play on that trial account. I think they are going giving you 12 hours or so

This does not bother me much as I am going to download a copy of GW later on tonight via Steam.

Currently i have a Elementalist / Warrior. Not sure if that was the wisest choice for a second profession.

You can change you second profession once you Ascend (I know you don't know what that is yet, but you will eventually). Elementalist/Warrior is not the best of combos, but that's the great thing about Guildwars, nothing is perminant except for your main profession.

All your skills, attribute points and secondary proffesion can be changed at will. It's a big part of the game to switch things up depending up what you are doing. So you will never gimp or mess up your character. For most professions when you are starting out, Monk is the most usefull secondary profession followed my mesmer. But as stated, you will end up changing on the fly depending on what you are doing.

Also, you don't need to go thru steam to get the game, it has it's own shop and you can download the full game via an executable thru the offical website, though steam may offer better deals, I'm not sure.

I have noticed that I can purchase the Guild Wars Trilogy (Guild Wars + Factions + NightFall) via Steam for US$49.99. However what this Eye Of The North Expansion? And how come that's not on steam too?
I can still purchase Eye Of The North directly from NCSoft.

Also, you don't need to go thru steam to get the game, it has it's own shop and you can download the full game via an executable thru the offical website, though steam may offer better deals, I'm not sure.

NC Soft is offering the same deal. However one thing that disturbs me is that NC Soft is giving me the impression that it will only download the new content when I require it for play. Currently my GW Trial (now upgraded to full account with the trilogy) is only 900mb. And it seems that every time I go into a new territory, I need to wait another 3 to 5 minutes as new content is downloaded to my PC.

Steam on the other hand telling me that I have to download a 2.2Gb. I am hoping that means that I get the full trilogy.

Not really happy with how NC Soft is doing this. Eg. What if I have to format my computer (some thing I do often enough)? Is GW like WoW where all I need to do is run off the exicutable in the folder? Or am i stuck downloading every thing again.

I bought it when it came out .....I never got into it, really not my thing... I have an original Guild Wars copy so if anyone want's my key (if you are in the UK I'll ship you the full boxed copy) let me know. for free that is.

img4258s.jpg

^^ Not sure if you should be posting that. TF Mods have a zero tolerance policy to selling MMORPG Accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom