Dungeons and Dragons Online [DDO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftcoasttech

In Runtime
Dungeons and Dragons Online is now free to play. For those of you that have had an account in the past, you can start now. If not, it opens up on the 9th

Dungeons & Dragons Online Coming Sept 9

Home | Dungeons & Dragons Online

Dungeons and Dragons Online US relaunch branded a success

Turbine spokesman Adam Mersky has indicated that the early-access launch of Dungeons & Dragons Online Unlimited has been a huge success.

The US-only, free-to-play makeover for the MMO turns regular subscribers into VIP members and gives access to all game content as well as a monthly Turbine Point allowance. But, said Mersky, the company has still profited from Turbine Point sales.

"They all got a ton of points for being loyal subscribers, for being in the beta. We weren't really expecting a ton of sales - they had no incentive to. They already had access to all of the content as VIP subscribers, and we just gave them a butt-load of Points," Mersky told Kotaku, as reported by Eurogamer.

"They've gone through their points, and we've already sold millions more Turbine points, and we've not even opened up the world to the public yet."

"The hottest selling items are the new Favored Soul class, which is unlockable in-game, but all of our subs just went ahead and spent points on it, unlocked it, and they're playing it right now," he added.

Dungeons & Dragons Online Unlimited will be made openly available to the rest of the US tomorrow. Alongside the switch to a free-to-play model comes Module 9, which raises the level cap, adds two new storylines, overhauls the combat system and introduces the Favored Soul. Module 9 will also be released as a regular free update to European subscribers.
Source

Looks interesting.

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Coming Sept 9

So like you pay real money for in game items or what is the purpose of turbine points if you have a subscription? I saw something that said the VIPs ($15 a month) get 500 free points per month.

Not sure, but probably. You can play for free and earn stuff, or buy points and get them now. Several have started using this system... Battlefield Heroes comes to mind.

I'm glad turbine hasn't implemented this system into Lotro. As soon as that takes over, I can foresee good items getting even more impossible to get legit.

I'm glad turbine hasn't implemented this system into Lotro. As soon as that takes over, I can foresee good items getting even more impossible to get legit.

The items in the DDO store are either things like xp boosts, or things you can get elsewhere. The only reason to pay is to get to some things faster, including certain races, classes, etc.

Try it out. You'll see they did a pretty good job making it so that paying is enticing, but not necessary, and not paying doesn't ruin the game.

if it was my choice, I would make it so that epic or rare items can only be picked up or purchased from paying members. Sure, make the item visible. However had a little cross next to the listing with a not saying "Item only avalable to paying members"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom