Champions Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free play weekend over the Thanksgiving weekend. Here's the link:
Free Weekend | Champions Online Official Site

Also, according to the newsletter, CO is having a Black Friday sale of their own.
The Friday after Thanksgiving, November 27, we'll be offering special Black Friday deals, available Friday only. The special offers available are:

* Buy all three Emblem Packs for 160 Cryptic Points. (Regular price: 80 Cryptic Points each.)
* Buy all three Vehicle Action Figures for 160 Cryptic Points. (Buy two, get one free!)
* Buy 4 additional Character Slots for 800 Cryptic Points and receive a Clown Action Figure free. (Regular price: 1200 Cryptic Points.)

I wish they would add more endgame stuff to champions. I loved the game play but once I hit 40 it was like gameover, reroll.

They are bring in that Nemesis thing shortly.

Free play weekend over the Thanksgiving weekend. Here's the link:
Free Weekend | Champions Online Official Site

Also, according to the newsletter, CO is having a Black Friday sale of their own.

Good. It means that the full client will be avalable to download again. Downloading now and hoping that clears up a few of the issues that i have been getting with the Steam Version.

Not reallly keen on logging into my steam client ot then log in again to my CO client.
Nor am I keen with steam only downloading the first 500Mb where I then have to use the CO update manager to get the other 2Gb.
Plus I would like a copy of the full client for if and when i need to re-install windows. This entire download install spawn and followed by 2.5Gb seens to be populare trend out there with MMORPGs right now. It's not cool.

Anyways, I do recommend that other people try this game out. I am having a lot of fun with it.

I am currently leveling up my second character in CO. For leveling up on the levels between 5 to 10, I do find that the Desert Mission Area is more balanced compared to the Canida Area.

There are some of the missions in Canida where you really need to be 1 or 3 levels highter than what the mission is really geared at.

[EDIT]Oh Oh Oh OH!!!!!! There is no better way to say "I love you" than the Champions Online Hand Held Dual Chainsaw. CombatCatGirlNekoNeko (my power armour character) has been having lots of close combat fun with that new toy. [/EDIT]

Champion Online Cracking Down On "IP Violations"

Infinite Customization, Infinite Possibilities, Infinite Deadpools | Champions Online Official Site
Infinite Customization, Infinite Possibilities, Infinite Deadpools

"IP Violations" - player-created characters that infringe upon the intellectual property rights of other companies, are currently the most common issue that Cryptic GMs currently handle.

In Champions Online, we have in-game policies which state that you can't create characters that are exactly the same as popular comic book, anime characters, video game characters, etc. However, with a tool that provides you with nearly unlimited flexibility to create nearly any character your imagination could possibly come up with, the temptation to create super saiyan Goku replicas is far too compelling for many of our players to resist.

During the Champions beta, we actually saw very few (maybe one or two?) IP violations. Based on this experience, we figured that we wouldn't see very many during live, but our assumptions turned out to be vastly incorrect when, on launch day, the entire cast of Street Fighter 2 decided to pay Millennium City a visit. Fortunately, we had already designed our policies and procedures for handling these violations, so we were able to take care of them quickly, but it definitely required more personnel than we originally anticipated.

Then, just when we thought we had it under control, we launched Champedia. This resulted in another flood of violation tickets, because thousands of characters that weren't being played started showing up on the site, for all to see, causing them to get reported. Fortunately, we were able to reactively tweak Champedia such that it would only show characters above Level 5, but there was a period of time where everyone who had a level 1 Darth Vader sitting in the tutorial was at risk of being the next target of our "Reset Costume" button. Additionally, we had quite a few players that clicked on the "Report" button in hopes that it would provide them with a detailed transcript of the selected character's accomplishments, which it certainly did not.

We actually get a lot of players asking why we don't want IP Violation characters in our game. They note that our game has plenty of references to other things, and "breaks the fourth wall" all the time with quirky cultural references. That's a valid point, but the interesting thing is that these "IP Violation characters" don't actually bother us on a personal level. The requirement to remove IP Violation characters from Champions is completely based on the fact that having IP Violation characters in our game puts us at a legal risk, and the unfortunate fact of the matter is that we are required to remove them from our game, or the owner of the IP in question can take us to court for stealing their stuff.

Each time we receive a ticket regarding an IP violation, we wait in suspense as the image loads, hoping that the character that appears in front of our eyes is an original work. If character is alright, and isn't an exact copy, then we're cleared to move forward to the next ticket. However, if it's a copy of someone's IP, then we're required to change it. We breathe the biggest sighs of relief when it turns out that the character is a parody, or they're only inspired by the original work. See: The Shark Knight.

So, the truth is, we really feel bad when we have to edit these characters. 99% of players who create these characters are completely innocent, and are only trying to recreate their favorite superheroes in Champions. Putting in all that time to create the perfect Cyclops, only to log in one day and find him downgraded into a generic dude in a T-Shirt and Jeans, is probably disappointing. As a result, we try and do our best to provide free costume change tokens and a link to our policies that educates players on our policies. Our hope is that they don't encounter the same outcome for future characters.

As we move forward, we plan on having more automated solutions in place to reduce the number of these occurrences. For now, we'll continue to fight the cause for originality!

In all honesty, I find that it's a little sad when out of all the possible orginal super hereo ideas that one could come up with, people are just creating another DeadPool, Hellboy, Ryu, Son-Goku, Spider-Man, etc etc.
I don't mind it when there is some one loosly bacing a character on a character. Or having a character inspired by another comic character. Like I am a little guitly of doing this myself.
But when it's a blatant rip off, that's a different story.

At the end of the day, a little orginality goes a long way. I rather see a character that is orginal. Seeing another DeadPool, Hellboy, Ryu, Son-Goku, Spider-Man is just so off putting.

I do remember the same thing was happening in StarWars Galaxies, and I sure that the same thing will happen again with DC Universe Online, Marvel Online, ST:TOR when they come around.

Re: Champion Online Cracking Down On "IP Violations"

when I played Champions (the RPG), I might take an idea from an existing character somewhere, but I made each one my own. Since I was the GM, I was constantly making new NPCs (I'm a stickler and had to make each one and not just give powers for free).

If anything the character creation process of Champions Online is too restrictive to me (unless they expanded it from what it was in beta). I could create a 250-point hero who could kick some major butt right out of the chute, but the process in CO seems to be to start out with little of nothing and build from there. No options to customize powers with advantages and limitations and such. Give me a nice multi-power, or an elemental set (I forget what they were called). Players need to be able to craft their stuff to fit their own concept, not what someone else thinks they should have.

But, having not played the finished product, I could be wrong.

If anything the character creation process of Champions Online is too restrictive to me (unless they expanded it from what it was in beta). I could create a 250-point hero who could kick some major butt right out of the chute, but the process in CO seems to be to start out with little of nothing and build from there. No options to customize powers with advantages and limitations and such. Give me a nice multi-power, or an elemental set (I forget what they were called). Players need to be able to craft their stuff to fit their own concept, not what someone else thinks they should have.

But, having not played the finished product, I could be wrong.

The problem with the character creation is that you don't get your travel powers until you are level 5. However after you get one toon pass the tutorial crisis, toons from then on can start at level 5 where you can pick your travel power and a few others.

As for the customisation, i do find that some of the combinations of clothing is not compable with others. And some times to have one particulare combination of clothing, you really need to play around with it customisation. The weird thing is that CO might not allow you to have one set of clothing if you create your character in one order. However if you change the order around in which you pick your clothing, then you might be able to get that result.
And I do feel that there are some clothing sets are are just restrictive on addition options that you are allowed to have.
And then there are some clothing types that just have too many options. Eg. Make a female character with a long dress and you will have 20 some thing styles of upper and lower legwear, even though you have no way of seeing them.

Some of the other customisations you have to earn in game. And others you can purchase out right with Cryptic Points. And the only way to get those is to spend IRL money.

It was funny tonight in Zone Chat on CO. We were talking about the upcoming DC Universe and Marvel Universe online MMO and how it will be funny to be roling up a Marvel Character in DCU and vise-versa.
I am sure that both game devs are going to be putting strictions in on that one.

Re: Champions Online - $10.19 via Steam (Ends Jan 03 2010)

This didn't come out to long ago. I'm guessing it's not that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom