Best server install to use as a game host?

XGaia

Solid State Member
I am interested in trying a certain project, and I was wondering for hosting game server clients what is the best Server install? Linux has gotten plenty of praise but some professionals say windows......... Which is it you guys think it is, and if you pick linux please comment the Distro that gets the job best other then Unbunto my PC(the one I am turning into a server) does not like that Distro it causes all sorts of errors installing.

Depends on what you'll be hosting (and if the server softwares are available on other platforms)

I personally stick with Debian. Super light weight, rock solid stable (the only time my server rebooted was during two power outages over the last two years), secure, and IMO better remote management if you know the command line.

Debian so much easier and more stable then windows server installing so far,and I am starting with a minecraft server as a stress test and then I am going to try web site client, after that I plan on working on game hosting I might need to look at ragezone for that step (I am not advertising it's the only place with emulators I know of some of which seem to be legal but greylined)

Last edited:
In all honesty it depends purely upon the game server software you will be using... I know a few software packages that will operate only in Server 2k3, one that works in only Server 2k8, but tons work in just about any *Nix environment. Then a few that you can recompile to work on just about any OS, even non-server like operating systems.

My vote also goes for Debian, especially for minecraft and such. Windows sucks up countless resources, its extremely unstable, and not, in my opinion, suitable for server hosting. But just like others said it all depends on the software. (However most common games I've played have linux server support, like Tf2, GMOD, Most steam games...)

I know some .exe can't be run on wine I didn't know if server side clients worked in linux or not since so many use .exe and not .bats

Back
Top Bottom