The Water Cooling Saga begins! - Page 11 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #101 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: The Water Cooling Saga begins!

Possibly I guess, I'll check wehn I get home

Event Viewer shows 'critical error', and once when I had restarted from a hard reset, the 'windows has recovered from a serious error' window popped up and told me a BSOD 117 had happened

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #102 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Sounds like your cards are not happy overclockers. It's happened to me before. Perfectly content at stock speeds but try and push it at all and everything just poops a brick.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #103 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I've overclocked them before a LOT lol. They are very happy being OC'd, in fact they LIVE for the thrill of the overclock. I'm hoping they weren't damaged somehow during the transition though.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #104 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I've overclocked them before a LOT lol. They are very happy being OC'd, in fact they LIVE for the thrill of the overclock. I'm hoping they weren't damaged somehow during the transition though.
Could have been you might have pushed them too far in the past and after a change in the system they finally gave up the ghost. Depending on the manufacturer you might be able to say you get artifacting and crashes when under load and get them RMA'd.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. I'll do some more testing when I get home, and reseat the blocks when I redo the loop with the connectors for the cards.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #106 (permalink)
Lord Techie

check your cards for any binding (loosen your blocks ever so slightly) and double check the slot to fingers for binding.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #107 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Will do. At this point I'm 99% sure it's a temp issue. I was watching a movie on my PC, was going for about an hour and 10, then the problem happened. I could hear the movie still playing through the speakers, and pressing space paused it (but wouldn't unpause after that) so held down the power button to shut down. I tried starting up again straight away, it got as far as the 'welcome' screen then where it usually goes black then to the desktop it just went black (with the 'no signal' message on the monitor). If I wait a little while, it will start up properly.

I'm thinking maybe one of the little chips on the GPUs is not properly covered by its thermal pad mebbe?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master Techie

when i was putting my block on, after it was mounted 100% i looked at it very closely andi saw one of the heat pads had folded while i was putting it on the block, if i hadnt noticed that i would be in a world of frustration. so its very possible. i would re-mount the blocks ( as big of a pain as that is )
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #109 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yeah...sigh. I'll have to drain the loop, start over. I'm gonna order those extra parts today though, then redo the loop when it all gets here. Until then my PC is gonna be off for a week and a half at least.

Closed Thread