The Water Cooling Saga begins! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default The Water Cooling Saga begins!

...except oh yeah, I don't know **** all about it

Picking my parts from here: http://www.gammods.com.au/
Rig is in my sig, and for now I'm just going to cool my GPUs/CPU.

edit: Current shopping cart list

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: The Water Cooling Saga begins!

you dont need to water cool ram...

i would go to Overclock.net and ask them there in the water cooling section, they know their **** there...

what case do you have?

16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 09-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

HAF 932. Very big, ports already drilled, etc. Perfect for this I'm thinking
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grand Tinker

Send a message via Yahoo to cq842000

The main difference between D5 and DDC pumps is size, DDC are smaller... However DDC pumps also have had problems with reliability in the past. I have one of both and both work great. As for the backplate, you can use the stock one in conjunction with the FC block. You would probably benefit the most from a minimum of triple spacing radiators, as for reservoirs... the more water in the loop, the better though the radiator can only cool so much water at a time. Surface area is important for efficient heat dissipation. In some cases (between looped GPUs or if you dont put your mosfets last) a buffer( a small radiator(120mm)) can give gains in heat dissipation

Coolant comes down to how often you want to pull your loop apart for cleaning. As in coolant with dyes tend to eventually coagulate (the dye has to come out of suspension at some point) at critical points in the loop. There are performance based coolants that might offer advantages over pure distilled, but the gain is minimal compared to the extra effort (and money) you'll expend cleaning and maintaining. I go with pure distilled water with a biocide added to keep the nasties dead. Anti corrosion agents arent necessary if you arent running any blocks with aluminum or mixing metals. An old trick to use for insane runs is to freeze up some distilled cubes and drop them in the reservoir...just be wary of temperature differences/ components with possible high cold bugs/ and as always condensation, though condensation is is pretty low risk with chilled distilled.

What kind of fans and what rating depends on the radiator you choose, as some are optimized for low airflow conditions while others cool better with high CFM fans.

Once you have the parts ready, then comes plotting the loop order and placement...which is easy if you do a little research (which I know you will). I hope this helps and Good luck!!!
MountainMods Ascension | EVGA X58 4xSLI Classified | Intel Core i7 980X | Swiftech/EK/Feser Liquid Cooling | 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2000 DDR3 | 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 (core 1ghz/memory 1.5ghz) + GTX 460 for PhysX
| 2x WD 640 GB 7200rpm HDDs | Antec True Power Quattro 1200w + Antec True Power Quattro 1000w |

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

kk, well if I don't need to buy another backplate then I think I'll skimp there this is gonna hurt my wallet enough lol.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

I'm gonna say pass on the D5, it's an old outdated pump.

Forget water cooling ram, and unless you're planning on multiple loops, forget cooling the chipset.

A single loop cooling your cpu and gpu/s is gonna be dealing with enough heat and restriction as it is.

If you want more advice, hit me up on aim, It's too time consuming having to answer back and forth in a forum.

aim: thephilosofizer

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you reckon the D5 is crap, which one do you reckon I should get?
http://www.gammods.com.au/store/inde...dex&cPath=1_88

edit: ok, after talking to aspire I've trimmed down the setup to something simpler for now. Just doing the GPUs and CPu. Mosfets and chipsets can wait, we'll see how the heat goes on them. Probably a good idea anyway as this will be my first WC effort
Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

sounds like a good move to me
SLI GTX 980s
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

ja-mon-lee! whats taking so long! get that ish underwater!
SLI GTX 980s
Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

lol sounds like we need to get YOU under some water chillax!
I'm going to order the parts after I get paid this friday, just up in the air over the rads I should get
Because the RX360s are sold out, I think I'll have to go with this:
RX480 Radiator-Quad, Black, G1/4 [XSPCRX480BLK] - $159.50 : GAM Mods, PC Water Cooling and Modding Supplies

Just don't know whether I'll need two or one, and whether a single D5 pump will be enough to push enough through the loop.

Closed Thread