water cooling 5970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
i dont have a 5970 and im not planning on water cooling one any time soon, im just curious as to how ti would be done since it has 2 processors. is theres a special water jacket or something for it?

just curious....

^thats why water cooling a gpu does not seem very practical to me. I mean if your having huge heat problems with fans at 100% still, then maybe, but 200 bucks for one water block? You could buy half another 5870 for that. 2/7 of a 5970, that is just to much for me.

couldn't you just water cool the cores and use ramsinks?

It a little more complicated than just cooling the memory chips as the card's voltage regulator circuitry also gets pretty hot and need cooling. When you buy an aftermarket cooler you do just add a few ram heatsinks and some type of a heatsink for the VR circuits. But the aftermarket cooler has one or more fans that provide air flow for cooling those additional smaller heatsinks. So unless you want to watercool and use fans it best to buy a block that cools everything.

EK Waterblocks - EK-FC5970 Acetal+Nickel

Watercool e.K. HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 5970 - for ATI 5970

XSPC Razor 5970 Full Coverage GPU Waterblock

VID-AR597 (Radeon HD 5970) [no nozzles] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

It a little more complicated than just cooling the memory chips as the card's voltage regulator circuitry also gets pretty hot and need cooling. When you buy an aftermarket cooler you do just add a few ram heatsinks and some type of a heatsink for the VR circuits. But the aftermarket cooler has one or more fans that provide air flow for cooling those additional smaller heatsinks. So unless you want to watercool and use fans it best to buy a block that cools everything.
Not always. I got a GPU only block and VRM heatsink for a total of $50. And can use it on any GPU I upgrade to. Full cover blocks can only be used with a specific card and are hard to sell off when the card is older than a year or two.

But were not talking about all cards. Newer enthusiast cards generate alot more power circuitry heat than there older counterparts. And why spend $500 on a card and then spend extra to improve the gpu temps but downgrade the power circuitry cooling.

But were not talking about all cards. Newer enthusiast cards generate alot more power circuitry heat than there older counterparts. And why spend $500 on a card and then spend extra to improve the gpu temps but downgrade the power circuitry cooling.

Downgrade? My heatsink cools my 4890's VRM's better than most full cover blocks. In many cases people leave the stock cooling for VRM/RAM along with a GPU only block and get very decent VRM temps.

And I know we aren't talking about all cards. Hence the "not always" in my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom