Water cool e8400 + gpu, first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
So i think id like to water cool my system. Not so much for OC'ing capabilities, but because I'm growing tired of my fans speeding up like jet planes, and because i just think it'll be cool and fun to do.

My idea was to take my current components (in sig) buy a new case, antec p183 Newegg.com - Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
and add the water cooling.

I think i know the basics but not sure exactly what components i should get.
I've seen this kit recommended, Petra's Tech Shop
and this reservoir, Petra's Tech Shop.

I've worked up alot of questions so bear with me =)

1. Would a 2x120mm rad be sufficient or do i need 3x120mm for cpu + gpu? (no heavy Ocing)
2. How would i mount either a 3x120mm rad or 2x120mm rad in or outside the case? (where are mounting holes)
3. Should i get a more generic cpu block (suitable for more kinds of sockets) than the ones they have listed with the kit?

4. What gpu block is good?
5.For the gpu would the gpu block + Petra's Tech Shop take care of everything that needs to be taken care of on the card?

6. I didn't see distilled water on the site, where can you buy this?
7. Should i go with that kit, or what can you put together with parts separately (suggest a build for me)

Budget: I'm not too worried about what it'll cost, I'm fine with ~$300. I'm looking for good value items (performance/cost wise) not necessarily the best.

Thanks.

My idea was to take my current components (in sig) buy a new case, antec p183 Newegg.com - Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
and add the water cooling.

1. Would a 2x120mm rad be sufficient or do i need 3x120mm for cpu + gpu? (no heavy Ocing)
2. How would i mount either a 3x120mm rad or 2x120mm rad in or outside the case? (where are mounting holes)
3. Should i get a more generic cpu block (suitable for more kinds of sockets) than the ones they have listed with the kit?

4. What gpu block is good?
5.For the gpu would the gpu block + Petra's Tech Shop take care of everything that needs to be taken care of on the card?

6. I didn't see distilled water on the site, where can you buy this?
7. Should i go with that kit, or what can you put together with parts separately (suggest a build for me)

As far as that case goes, it's a little on the small side so you will probably be limited to a single rad mounted on the back, unless anybody has experience otherwise.

Which brings me to your next question, Normally I would say if you want to cool both your cpu and gpu, 2 loops is the way to go. BUT seeing as how you won't be OC'ing much and it isn't a super high powered quad core and heat sucking gpu, I think you'll be fine on a single loop. I would definitely think about a 3x120mm rad with fans on it for push/pull.

As far as mounting goes, it depends on where you have space. I'm not sure how you would mount a 3x120mm on that case if you were to rear mount it. There would definitely be some spill over on top of the case if you mounted a 2x120mm rad, let alone a 3x120mm rad.

The GPU block and the other thing you linked would be all you need to cool the card, and a good gpu block would be something like this Petra's Tech Shop

Distilled water is available at any grocery store.

and the kit isn't a bad idea if it has the same parts you would get otherwise as it has all the barbs and stuff you would want to get anyway in a convenient kit!

Also i wouldn't worry about getting a more generic block unless you're thinking about changing sockets soon.

2 Loops is never worth it unless you want some seriously good temps, or have a LOT you are cooling. Like an overclocked i7, 2 5870's, and water cooled chipset/mosfets. But with a single gpu and cpu, 1 loop with a 360 rad will be more than enough.

Are you 100% set on getting that case? I'd get something with a little more room. Having your loop all internal is always nice.

For parts stick with the Swiftech XT in that kit. If you ever change socket's swiftech will have an adapter you buy.

If you get that kit + swiftech mcw60 + 8800gt sinks you are pretty much set. Maybe just get 3 more fans for push pull if you want it.

For coolant, distilled water + PT Nuke (included in the kit) is the way to go. All the coolants claiming to be more conductive are jokes.

Why splitting loops is a waste:
even if you overclocked the 8400, it will probably use 125w max, add another 100w for the 8800gt, and you have yourself a 5C water-air delta (probably less than that).
Triple-Rad-5C-Delta.jpg

I noticed here http://www.techist.com/forums/f115/good-water-cooling-cases-207628/index4.html#post1671662
Aspire recommended a mcr220 rad for a cpu + gpu.

So im still fuzzy on exactly how the radiator gets mounted. I cant find anything on how to attach the radiator to a case.
When the radiator is attached to the top of the inside of the case, are there always open grills there?
The p183 only has one fan there, im wondering how i can work with that. I assume i dont want half of the air going past the radiator getting out and the other half just hitting the top of the case with no where to go right?

In this picture of burnitor's case (i know its not ur current) http://www.techist.com/forums/f115/tech-forums-liquid-cooled-case-gallery-211638/#post1682648
How is the loop setup? Im confused on how it works with the "T" you have in there.

edit: What if I get two 120mm radiators. Are those able to attach to the existing fans on the p183 case? (again im not familiar with the mounting procedure of the rad's) But could mount each 120mm rad onto the two fans on the p183 case that are already there. Can you mount the rad's to the fans and have the fan support it?

Ya you need open vents if you want to mount the rad inside. Mounting outside will look like this:
sidejew.jpg

In my old setup I had Pump -> Rad -> CPU block -> tee -> pump. All the tee does is allow a point to fill the loop, and for the loop to "bleed" or let all the air bubbles find their way out. Basically the same as a reservoir.

Eh.. I wouldn't go with two 120mm radiators. It adds unnecessary flow restriction and will make tube routing look more sloppy IMO.

Yeah radiators are meant to be mounted with/on fans. As you can see in my rig's picture I have the rad hanging from the fans.

Again are you 100% sold on that case? Or have you already bought it? It's not a very friendly case for watercooling, especially if you want everything internal.

Again are you 100% sold on that case? Or have you already bought it? It's not a very friendly case for watercooling, especially if you want everything internal.

I havnt bought it yet, i just liked it alot. The clean look, dust filters on the entire front, and sound dampening walls. I dont want a case that lets me see the external drive bays, i like the door covering it and i dont want a side window.
I wish i could get the p193 but i hate that ugly 240mm fan on the side sticking out.

I could live with it sticking out the back like you have in that pic.

How do you tighten the screws there in that pic? it looks like the head of the screw is inbetween the 2 top fans.
Does the petra kit come with all the screws to mount like that? i found this pic http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/mciraho.html
Could i do attach that same thing but on the top of the system? elevated

My concern with mounting this outside was i was defeating my goal of making it quiet, having 2 120mm fans outside.

I'm not sure how they tighten down. I've never mounted my rad externally with a radbox before.

Yeah I would assume it comes with all the needed screws... at least if you buy the radbox individually it does.
Petra's Tech Shop

As long as you get the right fans (I would go with Medium Yate loons) it won't be loud.

But as far as the rad goes, I would really recommend going for a mcr320 rad instead of the 220. As Aspire said the 220 will be able to handle it, but a 320 will give better temps. And the 320 is already in the kit.

Ok so that reservoir would go in-place of the xspc top, as the reservoir looks like it has that included as well.

Now im trying to see the parts of the $200 kit
For cpu blocks, how is this xspc delta v3 universal Petra's Tech Shop vs the swifttech apogee gtz ($20 upgrade).

Is the pump Petra's Tech Shop much worse than that in the $280 kit? Is there a way to get a reservoir on this pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom