V8 stock Thermal Compound vs Thermal Fusion 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
I've got a new Cooler Master V8 cooler for a new build, and besides a regular thermal compound it includes trial package of Thermal Fusion 400.

Should I use this trial one for my CPU instead of stock one???

^ I agree ^
I tried almost every paste out there and unless you want spend 2-3 times the cash for a mere degree or 2 you can't beat the Tuniq TX-2 :D

If you need any more opinions about the TX-2 just to make sure, I like it too. I've used it on both cpu's and gpu's and it has worked great.

Anybody tried TX-3? How is it?

I've tried it. It's like a chalky, clumpy paste. I found it very hard to get a good application. And I tried all the different techniques. While it may be a slightly better paste based on its chemical composition, it's not worth a crap if it can be reliably applied by a newbie or an experienced user.

To be perfectly honest, I use Tuniq TX-2 on my Workstation and every PC that is brought to me. On my Gamer/Benchmark PC I use Innovation Cooling Diamond "7 Carat". It's expensive, there really is very little paste in the tube. But it does give me that degree or 2 I alway seem to need :D
Innovation Cooling Diamond "7 Carat" Thermal Compound - 1.5 Grams - FrozenCPU.com
However, the IC Diamond paste is another one of those paste that does not spread well. And it's slightly abrasive, it will remove the cpu's labeling after awhile. If you buy a used cpu from me that I haven't lapped you still won't be able to read 1/2 of the writing on it :D

Here's my favorite method of applying thermal paste and it works everytime for me using Tuniq TX-2 and IC Diamond. Using the picture below, I put a small dab of paste (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a match head from a book of paper matches) in each of the red dots. I then attach the heatsink and let the weight of the heatsink spread the paste. Once the heatsink is tight I'll rotate it back and forth if the design allows it. And if it does rotate, I'll start the PC up and get it hot (run LinX or Prime95 for 5 minutes) and then shut it down and rotate the heatsink again while it's still HOT.
pastespots.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom