Thermaltake P5 Watercooling Build

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
Wow, it has been a very long time since I've logged in here. Hope everyone is doing well, I'm glad to see the community still alive and strong!

To get right into it, I am looking to upgrade my case/watercooling setup since I am now living in a small NYC loft. I found the Thermaltake P5 which I think would be perfect since I can mount it on the wall to save my precious floor space and also add a nice bit of aesthetic to my room.

My current setup is as follows (to the best of my recollection)
Laing D5 pump
Swiftech 360mm rad w/ 1/2" ID connections
Swiftech crappy reservoir (need to replace)
Apogee GTX cpu block

I want to rework my build around the P5 case with rigid tubing and a nice reservoir. My goals are a very clean looking setup, nothing too flashy that will all fit within the P5 case. I don't need to add GPU cooling right now, but might think about it in the future. Probably all I need to replace/upgrade right now is the tubing, fittings, coolant (I've been using distilled water with an anti-corrosion additive), and reservoir. My radiator, cpu block and pump are all good.

What advice can any of you give me to working with rigid tubing etc.? Does anybody have experience with the P5 case?

Water + build + the P5 will be heavy. Make sure that you have an ample area on the wall to mount it first.

When dealing with rigid, so far I have found it best to match the brand of the fittings and tubing. For instance, maybe it might fancy you to stick with Thermaltake fittings and tubing. Since you want to go with rigid buy LOTS of tubing. You will make mistakes. You'll need some form of kit for the bending too and a heatgun. Most bend kits come with a cutter and silicon insert that you need to lube up first. I just went to Lowes and bought an industrial heatgun and a tube cutter (the spinny kind not the clamp kind)

My personal method is a car method. Measure with a floppy ruler doing the entire bend/tube piece and cut like an inch more in tube. Tape one end (or if you're lucky like me find a perfect size wine cork) and fill her up with sand. Cap the other end off and make your bends double checking while you go for clearance or whatever. I've tried the soap and olive oil methods and I hate them. This is a car trick but it works for me anyways (bending fuel/brake lines without a kink). You do whichever method you're most comfortable with.

Last thing I can think of right now. Put aside LOTS of time. It takes some getting used to.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I have worked with making neon signs before so I am familiar with tube bending, albeit glass tubing, but similar concept, so that will help me out a bit I think. I might try that sand trick though. Would I be better off going with angle connectors? They seem rather pricey.

With the fittings, how do they attach? Do I need to thread the tubing or is there some specially designed connection?

As for the weight of the case, I'll figure out a way to add some extra support for it.

Depends on how you want to do it really. Some do just bends, some just go for connectors and straight lines. Honestly straight lines are the easiest so it all depends on what you want to spend and how much time you want to put into the loop.

The 1/4" part screws into the block or piece, and a ring screws off the tube end and goes over the tube. This plus a pair of O rings keeps it snug. You don't need to do anything to the tube except make sure the cut is straight and deburred.

Wall mounting the P5 was a huge concern for me and why I didn't go for it, at least paired with water cooling. My rig in it's current form is around 60lbs or so and that's with a case that is feather light. I think about 5lbs by itself. The P5 by itself with no hardware is 26lbs then when you add the hardware and copper from the blocks and rad you're looking at least around 75lbs even with single GPU. I would definitely scope out the situation and find at least one stud to use. I'm using snap toggles to hold up my whole setup, but that's sheer weight spread across an 8ft span of drywall and 3 6" screws in a stud. My landlord will be pissed, but I know my **** won't fall off the wall either. Don't want the goods getting trashed.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat in a position where I need to put it on the wall because I have so little space. If I keep my rig on the floor, it takes up very valuable space so I need a solution. Maybe I'll set it up with my current water setup in the P5 to test the weight and solutions before I dive into the upgrades. I might have to get creative with the wall mount setup.

Back
Top Bottom