Thermalright Venomous-X - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Thermalright Venomous-X

Looking forward to it .

Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Well I've been bored and a little tired of not having something new to play with. So I've got one of these badboys on the way to do a little testing on. I'll find out what it's all about, expect some new pictures next week
I love pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCyber View Post
thanks for this review... how does it stack against the CoolerMaster V8, the CoolerMaster V10, and the Tuniq 120 Extreme?
found V8 and V10 if you are still interested

courtesy of legitreviews

Old 02-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have a V10, it's a piece of crap.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

^No kidding, $140 and its in the same spot as normal air coolers.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I even tried a few different Peltiers with it, the V10 that is. The V10 seemed like a good idea, but it just doesn't perform.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

so then my question now lies in... megahalems, noctua's, or venomous x's... none of which offer direct pipe technology which I actually prefere... as in the case of the Image View | Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384 Double Layer Heat-pipe Direct Touch Universal CPU Cooler (CAC-SXHH7-U01) (Socket 754/775/1366/939/940/AM2) - FrozenCPU.com
*sigh* really it's between the megahalem and the venomous x... I just gotta choose like today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well I'm positive the Venomous-X is going to require lapping. And I'm not going to be swayed from that idea until I test it myself.

I don't believe the Venomous-X will outperform the Megahalem straight out of the box.

After Lapping, an additional $10-$20, I think the Venomous-X will outperform the Megahalem and the standard True. But will it outperform a Lapped True Copper, that's what I plan on finding out.

I think the choice between the Megahalem and the Venomous-X is pretty simple. Do you mind paying an extra $20 and working for 2 hours Lapping.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The UPS man finally arrived, I'll take a few close-ups tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well I hooked up the Venomous X today. I luv the new retention system and they've modified how the fan clips attach to the heatsink so they stay attached better. Both are excellent improvements. The base of the heatsink is slightly flatter and it comes with a beautiful polished finished.

Straight out of the box, at my standard overclock of 4.2GHz LinX would not run. It crashed almost immediately and I was unable to capture a screenshot. And it's cold inside today, it's 65F and no heater is running. This is easily 5-10 degrees cooler than normal.

My next step was to lap the base until it was Flat and I went ahead and made sure it had a polished finish.

With the base lapped flat and my standard overclock of 4.2GHz applied I was able to to capture a screenshot of LinX. After 1 minute my system is hotter than it's ever been (not counting the unlapped run above).

I'm going to test the Venomous X against the standard True I have in my Office Workstation this weekend. I don't have a good feeling about this heatsink, I think the standard True will defeat it also. The biggest problem I see with this heatsink is the new Fin Spacing. The distance between the Fins has been increased, how did they do this? They used fewer fins which amounts to less surface area for heat dissipation under heavy load. At an Idle the Venomous X is able to match the True Copper for cooling ability. But under a Full load, it just can't get rid of the heat like a bunch of Copper fins can.

I took a bunch of pictures that I'll be posting in a Lapping Thread And I'll be taking a few more pictures this weekend to illustrate some of my opinions above
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

I'm not much surprised by Slay's findings much... first off its not copper... and copper is so much better at transferring heat than aluminum. also, the design, while it looks real neat, doesn't seem to make sense to me. the side of the heatsink with all the little recessions and "fingers" that curve about just seem to make channels for air to flow away from the heatsink as opposed to through it.

tis a shame though for such a stylish heatsink... I wish it did perform better.