thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev. C base finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
has the revision c improved the base problem with the original true 120?

I did google it.... just can't find a solid answer :sweat:

It looks better, but still slightly curved. There's a pretty good write-up over at HardOCP :D
Introduction - Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Revision B & C Review | [H]ard|OCP
ahhhh

I completely skipped rev. b when I read that the first time

cause I was only interested in rev. c LOL

PS
very interested in how the Venomous X will compare to the TRUE 120 rev. C

Don't mean to barge in, but I think it's funny that this site advertises a Lapping kit with that heatsink.. LOL I've heard a lot about that contact patch not being exactly TRUE... lol

yeah.... lapping is the only way to go if you want the most performance outta those TRUE 120s

very interested in how the Venomous X will compare to the TRUE 120 rev. C

I really like Thermalright Heatsinks and I'm sure the Venomous X will be a Solid Performer. However, after reading the link you supplied I found this.
Thermalright said:
The base is also slightly raised – the company explains such a design will increase performance by drawing away heat from the center of the processor in an accelerated rate.

They just won't learn, Lapping will still be required.

It's when you smooth the surface of a heatsink or processor using varying grits of sandpaper so they make better contact. Better contact means better heat transfer and lower temps :). Here are a few vids so you can see what it entails (thanks to Slay for posting them):
lapping your heatsink is easy, just time consuming. The procedure is the same whatever heatsink you use :D

Here's a 2-part video on lapping your cpu. It's easy to do, you just have to be delicate :D

Thanks a lot. By the way, does the NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 needs lapping?

It shouldn't. You can check it for flatness with a good Straight-Edge (a new utility knife razor blade).

If it's flat, but lacks a mirrored finished, you can always just polish it up with some 1500-2000 grit sand paper. But it's not necessary :D

true3.jpg

lapcpu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom