Switching Cards on Water Cooled System... Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I built my watercooled setup, so I have the basics of watercooling down, but I've never had to pull the cards out, which I need to do now that I've got a new set of HD7970s. Any hints on how to get the cards out without water spilling everywhere? Are there plugs that you can stick in the open end of the tubing? That would seem to be the most painless method, as you could just plug up the tube at the radiator end and then pull the cards out.

You are going to loose water either way you look at it, unless you are able to use the same block on the newer cards. Power it down, make sure you position the rig so water doesn't come in contact with the parts. If you want you can attempt to gently clamp down on the coolant lines close to the cards with locking pliers remove the tubes from the block, then pull your cards out.

If you can use the same block, just remove the block from your cards, then remove the cards.

My 465 had a sticker on one of the screws on the back. I told them the heat naturally made it come off which is did.

That's the kind of thing I'm worried about... I doubt if I can convince someone that the heat made it come off in 24 hours.

I'm just going to let it run for three days, and if they haven't caught on fire by then, I'll tear them down. Better safe than sorry.

EDIT--Just realized that I think both of our posts belong on a different thread lol.

haha I'm like WHERE DID THIS NEW BIT OF TALKING COME FROMM!?!!?!!

One way you could do it is to empty the res of what's in it, and then plug up the output side with something (don't use toilet paper :p) and then just rotate your case *carefully* and try and drain the system into the res as much as you can, then clamp off one line, drain the water out from that section, clamp the other line (the lines coming out of the card/s) and then pop them off and then drain the rest of the system as best you can. You should be golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom