Super Extreme Liquid Cooling-Build and Questions Log

Maverick Wolfe

Solid State Member
I Said in my intro thread I would be posting this up. Well, Here goes the list of parts for my planned build.

Case:HAF 932--Currently in use
Koolance parts for planned build inside and outside this case:

CPU 380A Block
1x 3x120MM 53mmThick Radiator 2x 120mmx38mm ~200CFM Fans
1x 3x140mm Standard Radiator
2x Dual Bay Res for pmp 450S
1x 450S pump
1x 3x120mm Shroud
1x 3x120mm enclosure/riser
1x shroud mounting kit
1x3x140MM shroud
2x 38mm screw kits for 120MM fans
1x Fillport
1x Round 80mmX80MM "Feeder" Res for additional capacity of liquid.
10x 1/2" 13mm Black Barb Fittings
I'm considering attempting to put a Peltier onto a smaller radiator outside the loop with some sort of crazy mod, or even a peltier Chilled Metal Water box outside the system, but I'd have to have it custom made by koolance. I'm leaning towards a Water box/peltier system instead of the elaborate 3 res solution. there would be at least 2 Peltiers within the waterbox system I'm just tossing around concepts in my head right now. not sure if I'm going to even use a peltier.

Layout of primary cooling system:

3x120 with Riser and shroud, on top of case, with fans installed into the shroud as per instructions and necessary modifications will be made to the installation procedure as to optimize height due to 3x140mm Radiator running from the rear, Radiator will be setup in such a way that It will be upside down due to the barbs needing to be facing up. 2x pmp 450's may be needed instead of one because of this. I would run them both at the exact same speed. so as to pull double the flow through my system. I might change the 3x140 to a 2x140 instead because of the size in height.
This system will be Chilling at the very least 1xFX8350 CPU to start. My Intended Flow Chart:
Res<<Pump>>CPU>>3x120mm>>2/3x140mm>>Res
Eventually it will go:
Res<<Pump>>CPU>>3x120mm>>Vid>>2/3x140mm>>Ram>>1x120mm>>Res
I'll probably Nix the crazy TEC Idea as it's just that... Crazy.... Ideas on my loop? I will also be Swapping out my Stock 230MM side Fans for a Bitfenix Pro 230MM fans.

Take a look at my water chiller thread. Buying a Koolance water chiller with some quick disconnects would be much easier and cost probably similar as well. Would just be a whole hell of a lot easier than setting this up in a 932 case and also cool better.

Interesting, from what I've looked at I still need a pump, and a res or two might be in the works as well, I'd still like a radiator in the system, my biggest concern would be condensation but I'd be willing to do protective measures as long as I didn't risk wrecking the CPU and Block with them. The other downside to the water chiller option for me is the cost itself up front... 1400 for the Koolance one I'd rather have, and then 4-600 for a cheaper alternative... I'm not made of money here, and I really don't see the point in spending that kind of cash when Piecing together the system two components at a time is more economical for me I like it as a future option but I'm just concerned with my costs right now.... saving up for that Chiller alone would take me half the time of my planned build for this project.
1x 120x2
1x 140x3
2x pmp450S
1x CPU380
2x. Dual bay res for pmp450s
1x 120x2 shroud
1x140x3 shroud
3x shroud mounting kits(will see about doubling the height. this way with the top mount.) if not I'll have a spare mounting kit.
2x 38mm screw kits for 120mmx38mm ~200CFM fans.
1xFillport
1x Round 80mmx80mm Feeder res
1x HAF 935? possibly upgrade the case.

The Koolance has a res, pump, and literally everything you need to cool 800W+ worth of system. All you need is blocks on your components and tubes (I prefer with QDC) heading out to the unit. Yea, it's 1400 bucks but the cooling capacity in itself can cool almost anything you toss at it, you don't need to rework loops when you do upgrades, cleaning is a breeze, and you can literally use any case you want due to not needing rad compatibility. It's the reason why I haven't upgraded my custom loop at all and started using my H50 for simplicity until I get this thing. Condensation isn't an issue because you can control the temp of the water so make sure it stays at ambient and you're set. Could get away with a little under ambient due to heat shock.

Now, there are other options if you were into modding and getting your hands dirty.

Moving day for me, So I'll make this brief, For me to save up the 1400.00 I need would take long enough that by the time I'm ready to drop that cash either the system will be off the market or something better will come along. Working off of a Disability budget like I am puts me in a rock and a hard place and right now I have to put this plan on hold. I have Convention plans in September, and I am bringing a very close friend of mine to where I live so that she has a better place to live than where she is. I know it's going to be about the same cost as the initial system which stinks. I on average will have 175.00 to spend at the end of all bills. That's what is going to play out in my build unfortunately is this impingement of budget. 6 months of savings at that would put me at ~1050.00 it would take me 10 months to save just to buy the components, get all my tubing and such.. Economically... What would you do, especially if you needed to drop your power consumption of your rig with a better cooling solution and had to do it so that it saved you money on electricity and other factors in the long run?

Well economically what I would do is buy an H100i or something cheap and call it a day and worry about more important things. If you wanted to lower power consumption then you should move to an Intel based rig (come on, <84w vs 125-140) and set your sights on a Maxwell based Nvidia graphics card (750ti makes them look promising with a max consumption of 66w). Buying yourself an epic water loop only reduces how much heat is being retained on the components only making your cooling solution more efficient, and extending the life of your components by not running as hot. Lowering your power bill requires a significant drop in power consumption from your components as a whole, which the important part being load.

You also have to take into consideration the math here. How much you're spending on water components vs how little your drop in bill will be. Spending a grand on water components would pay for 5 months worth of my e-bill personally. You'd be better off lowering overall PC power consumption, and start going around turning things off when not being used and unplugging power adapters which also aren't being used. That includes any ceiling fans, lights, coffee pot, reducing usage of central air, phone chargers, or whatever. According to my wall meter my own PC when gaming/streaming/transcoding accounts for only about 7 dollars of my total bill @ 10c/kwh. That is also with me leaving my PC on 24/7. My laptop which has older components and isn't as efficient is about 5 dollars depending on how much my gf games. I could drop that a buck or two if I turned my PC off every night. A good investment on your part might be to buy yourself one of these meters to see if your PC is really draining your wallet as much as you think.

As to the Koolance unit, it's not going anywhere any time soon. I'm sure they don't have a lot of demand for these units but if you think about it phase change cases have been moving steady for Little Devil to stay in business. One would assume a unit not as dangerous with condensation would stick around a while. It can also be used for literally all of your rigs in the future with a simple change of blocks on your components. That is the reason why I want one is so I can get this beast on my desk and then never worry about cooling capacity of rads again. I can also look at any case I want in regards to not needing full custom loop support. A big deal to me, because I don't personally like full tower cases which are capable of keeping a couple Monsta rads in them push/pull.

Last edited:
What I meant by power consumption was the actual PULL I'm creating on my Power supply with the Hybrid Peltier V10, the damn thing pulls over 80 Watts, and is pulling more away from what I need to run the graphics cards ect. I don't care much about the electric bill right now, The only thing I personally run is my computer itself, and charge my phones. Economicly the H100I is cheap and won't work for my preferences, In my new location I'm not breaking over 40-45C MAX on load. I Will be going forward on the plans for at least the 2x120 Radiator and fans, I might start with the 140MM radiator depending on what I end up with budget wise after I bring my friend here, I will start by buying my Block, and perhaps A radiator first. I will then buy my pump and a Res to start with, just to keep costs low initially. I'm estimating around 350 for starting my trip back into LCS. I will start my build in December of this year.

Back
Top Bottom