Should I use Cool'N'Quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enarchay

Solid State Member
I currently have Cool'N'Quiet disabled, but I just noticed that my heat sink is a little noisy. According to Speedfan, the heat sink fan is running at 5017 RPM, while the CPU is at 40c.

My question is if I should turn on Cool'N'Quiet. I don't know much about it, but I've heard that it can decrease performance, and decrease CPU life over time. Is this true? Should I use it or not?

Another option would be to just turn down the fan speed in Speedfan. But I don't know how low I should set it - it's at 100% right now. Would you recommend changing the speed in Speedfan and if so how low?

Thanks.

Cool n Quiet is AMDs version of SpeedSteping

It downclocks your cpu so as to keep it cooler. Less cpu heat means the fan will slow down too.

It will decrease performace.. sorta, as it'll kick off whn it needs power, and theres no way it'll decrease life.

When the compuer needs the power, like gasming, it kicks off, and runs at full speed. But, when youre surfing, you need like only half the power, it'll kick on and run slow.. the switch is unnoticeable.

I have on my amd laptop a program from AMD that shows the stats, i think it was cool'n quiet monitor, and you coud watch the saving mode kick on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom