Radiator--Push or Pull - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Radiator--Push or Pull

I'm starting to build my two water loops. I've got two external radiators that I'm mounting outside the computer. The easiest way for me to make it work is to use the fans in pull mode; push would require serious logistical tweaking.

Is there any reason not to use pull?

Graphics Card: HD7970
Optical: 2 x Lite-On iHAS424SATA 24X DVD
Hard Drive: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X 2 240 GB
Monitor: Samsung 1080P 120Hz 3D
Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Radiator--Push or Pull

This review might be helpful : Radiator Fan Orientation and TFC Shroud Testing & Review. Seems that fast fans work better when pushing and slow fans work better pulling.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

have it go |Fan Pulling|Rad|Fan Pulling|Case|
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Doesn't make a huge difference either way really.

Which radiators and fans are your using?

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Doesn't make a huge difference either way really.

Which radiators and fans are your using?
Swiftech MCR320 Drive Triple 120mm Radiator / Reservoir w/ MCP35X PWM Pump Combo
AeroCool 120mm Turbine 2000 Fan

On a related note, since there will be three fans tied to the CPU/NB-SB, and three fans tied to the dual GPUs, what is the best way to route the fans from the motherboard? Should one set be plugged into the CPU fan jack? This way, I could have their speed linked to the CPU temp. Is there anything like this that would work for the GPUs? There is a jack that was tied to the fan on each card before I removed the old air cooler; I'm thinking that might work, but it would only be able to get the results from one card; if there is no support for Crossfire in a game, it defaults to the first card, correct? Or should they just run 100% all the time?

Also, is there any kind of three-way splitter I can use for the fan cords?

EDIT--One more thing... I got black tubing, because I think it looks cool. How am I supposed to tell if there are any bubbles in the lines? Should I just get clear tubing?
Graphics Card: HD7970
Optical: 2 x Lite-On iHAS424SATA 24X DVD
Hard Drive: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X 2 240 GB
Monitor: Samsung 1080P 120Hz 3D
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Swiftech MCR320 Drive Triple 120mm Radiator / Reservoir w/ MCP35X PWM Pump Combo
AeroCool 120mm Turbine 2000 Fan
If I recall those fans have pretty good static pressure so I would run them in a pushing configuration.

Also, is there any kind of three-way splitter I can use for the fan cords?
Yes you can find them, or you can just splice all the fans together with a little bit of soldering and DIY-ness

EDIT--One more thing... I got black tubing, because I think it looks cool. How am I supposed to tell if there are any bubbles in the lines? Should I just get clear tubing?
I've ran black tubing for a couple years now, if you use a T-line you can listen and should be able to hear if you have any bubbles still in the line as they work themselves out. If you have a reservoir, you don't really even need to worry about bleeding.
Ze End

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread