Passive CPU cooling? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Passive CPU cooling?

I will be getting the TRUE 120 copper for x-mas that i was planning using with 2 fans for my build.... then life happened and I got involved in a situation requiring me to spend lots of money... and now have no money for the build. Has anybody read any reviews/benchmarks for the TRUE copper running without a fan as compared to stock HSF? I know i did see some numbers with a fan running at a very low setting, and the true was still holding its ground, but I haven't seen any numbers with no fan attached.

I do have e 80mm fan from a busted PSU to use also but that's on its way out. (gets really noisy sometimes, and i have to tap it a couple times to get it to quiet down). but i could probably rig that up to it with some zip ties and whatnot.

In all honesty I could just keep stock cooling as there is no OC as of now, and there will be no build in the foreseeable future

edit: I saw a review at AnandTech for the non-copper version and it did a little better with no fan than the stock intel cooler: (Review is here). This leads me to believe that the copper should be more than ok as a passive CPU cooler. Especially when i get my case reassembled as the airflow in it is outstanding. I think i will run some tests and screenshots just to get my own numbers to compare. Should give me something to do while I save up for parts.

If anybody knows of a link to some numbers for the TRUE copper, I would still be interested.

I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Passive CPU cooling?

I wouldn't recommend using the True Copper without a fan. Does your case have a front intake fan (or any other type of fan)? Use it with the True until you get some cash. And remove the side panel for ventilation until you can replace the fan you borrowed

Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Passive CPU cooling?

well the side panel will need to be removed because it is a prebuilt mid-tower case (HP a6700f) until i get my HAF 932 painted and put back together. Yea, i will probably stick one of my extra fans on it until i can get a nice 120mm fan or 2 for it. Depending on the amount of time i have, I may still run some tests to see the difference between stock, TRUE w/out fan, and TRUE with small fan. Time has been short lately though, so who knows.
Thanks for help again
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Closed Thread