New computer (first timer), how to ensure correct push/pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

effang

Beta member
Hi,

Just bought my first computer, building it from scratch. The case i bought is the

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

From what i have read, pull air in from the bottom, push it out from the top. aside from physically feeling the fans and what they are doing, how do i know which direction a fan is pushing or pulling?

Also, when putting fans on the side of the case, are we pushing or pulling?

push/pull is more of a heatsink/radiator cooling term where there are fans on each side, one pushing the other pulling.
To find out which way the fan is blowing most fans have an arrow indicator on the side or, generally, they blow toward the side where the wire comes out.

For case cooling my preferred method is positive pressure, where you have more intake fans than exhaust fans.
Setting up this way means that air comes in where you want it, and keeps dust from getting sucked in through cracks and whatnot.

If you filled all the fan spots on your case I'd go: intake = front and sides; exhaust = top and rear.
Fans on the side will blow cool air over/into your video card and CPU keeping them cool.

aside from physically feeling the fans and what they are doing, how do i know which direction a fan is pushing or pulling?

Should be an arrow on the side of the fans; the direction it points is the direction the airflow is moving, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom