Low-profile cooler for OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey guys,

So I've finally sorted out my little mini-itx build (as per sig) and the only thing left is the cpu heatsink and fan.

The problem is with this wee motherboard is that the RAM is already right next to the stock intel cooler. So width is an issue. That's the big shuriken out.
The other thing is, even if the heatsink on a cooler 'started' higher than the ram usually, the ripjawsx have got relatively high heatsinks, so clearance is an issue. That's the Shuriken Rev B out (I think)
And to top it off, clearance between the motherboard and the PSU is only about 115mm, so to be safe I can't go for anything higher than 100mm. That's... a lot of things out.

Quite the pickle, no?

I'm sort of looking at the h60 (or OcUKs variant which is literally identical bar the fan) but really I'd prefer to go for air cooling. Mainly because it'll hopefully cost less and I don't lose the exhaust fan.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

It does seem to be looking more and more likely. I shall mourn the loss of my exhaust fan though.
Even an H60 or similar is going to be tight. I'm pretty sure the radiator fan will only have about 3/4mm clearance above the PSU.

Oh and here's a fuzzy picture of what I was talking about, just because I can.

Good gravy thats tight.

Don't mourn the loss of your exhaust fan just yet.
The Corsair Hydro series technically works as an exhaust fan as well, it just passes through the radiator before it leaves.
If you have the room you should be able to attach the H50 to your current exhaust fan for a push/pull config.

You should see the height clearance... <shudder>

I suppose I could get a 1450 RPM GentleTyphoon with it to offset the loss from the radiator being in the way. I'll be getting either the CoolIT ECO II or OcUK's version, neither of which come with a fan anyway.

Unless anyone can suggest a better fan for roughly the same price?

Can't go wrong with the Gentle Typhoon, not sure of the price differences, but may want to snag the AP-15 over the AP-14, you are pushing through a radiator after all.

Would the AP-15 be more suitable? It's funny, I actually had that one written on my post but then changed my mind due to noise concerns.
Mind you, I've since read that it's really not as loud as I'd assumed. I only really need a push so I figure if someone says 'yes' then I'll be going ahead and ordering the pair.

This is my first foray into watercooling of any sort so I'm not exactly savvy. I had dreams of setting up a 'proper' system with a gpu block as well, but once again, tiny case crushes my dreams. :(

EDIT: Bought! And the little black box is finally complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom