Help me build a no-price-limit watercooling system! - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Default Re: Help me build a no-price-limit watercooling system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
From looking at the picture, it would seem to me that all the extra bulk on the threads end is just the threads, and the ID would still be 1/4". Back to the car analogy, my exhaust tips are 4.5" wide, but the pipes themselves are only 2.5" wide, as there is an inch of surrounding metal that is basically just for looks; it would seem like the threads are similar to the for looks part.

I'll look at them when they get here... I've got some calipers, so I'll measure both ends and see what's up. If the ID on the thread end is larger than the other end, I'll just return them and get bigger ones.
Fair enough, but I'll tell you right now that IS going to be the case.

I have only been messing around with this stuff for the last 6 years...

This 90 degree G1/4 to 1/4" barb should illustrate better.
Primochill G 1/4" Threaded Elbow Barb - 1/4" ID - UV Red - FrozenCPU.com

And as a direct comparison between a Bitspower 1/4" and a Bitspower 1/2"

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/im...P-WTP-C12.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/im...g_-_12_ID.html

Note the opening hole size difference. The threads are identical between the two of them.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Techie

NOW I see what you're talking about... d'oh!

Ok, so I need to reconsider what size I'm using; do you know what the actual ID of a standard G1/4 is? Because, unless those pictures are misleading, it's not 1/4".

****, now I have to figure out what fits through the holes in my case... I'm not drilling anything, so the 3/8" OD would have been perfect.

Graphics Card: HD7970
Optical: 2 x Lite-On iHAS424SATA 24X DVD
Hard Drive: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X 2 240 GB
Monitor: Samsung 1080P 120Hz 3D
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
NOW I see what you're talking about... d'oh!

Ok, so I need to reconsider what size I'm using; do you know what the actual ID of a standard G1/4 is? Because, unless those pictures are misleading, it's not 1/4".

****, now I have to figure out what fits through the holes in my case... I'm not drilling anything, so the 3/8" OD would have been perfect.
Well the G1/4 refers not to the size of the hole, but to the size and spacing of the threading. Unfortunately I don't have any extra fittings kicking around so I can't give you an exact measurement...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread