Heatsink question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Heatsink question

Recently I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my computer to an i7 920 build. I currently have an old unlapped TRUE 120 (original version) from over 2 years ago and was wondering if it is worth keeping.

If I were to keep it, I'd need to get an 1366 mounting kit and probably also lap it. (I've never lapped anything before)

I do plan on overclocking the 920 to roughly 3.8-4.0ghz.

Would I be better off just buying a new heatsink altogether? If so, which ones are recommended? I would like to keep the price around $50 - $75 if possible.

Edit: Here's the TRUE 120 I had originally bought.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: Heatsink question

TRUE 120 is still a very capable cooler, especially when lapped. I think even the original version is still in the top 10. I would just buy the adapter
my second choice would be the prolimatech Megahalems.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The TRUE 120 is an excellent cooler for the i7 920. You should definitely Lap it.

Heatsink Lapping Guide

and you should get an extra set of fan clips for a push / pull setup.

If you don't want to lap your TRUE yourself, I have 3 of them already lapped, we could work out a deal if your interested. I've got some pictures posted here

FS (3) Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120 (TRUE)
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I'll probably buy the new mount and lap it myself. I figure I might as well learn sometime, and using a 2+ year old heatsink would be the place to start.

Any suggestions for fans? I've been looking around some forums and the Scythe GentleTyphoons are mentioned a lot. Should I grab a pair of those or are there better/cheaper alternatives?

Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread