H80 mod?

Veraster

In Runtime
OK I have an idea that's probably stupid and won't work but I'm asking about it anyway just for the heck of it.
Would it be possible to take apart an H80, add one of those pump/reservoir combo thingys you can get from xoxide, and add another radiator?

Would the additional pump burn out the H80's pump and screw up the whole system? Would there be a notable temperature difference that's actually worth spending the additional $150 it would cost to get that working?

Even though possible, they aren't meant to be taken apart like that at all. If you were going to do that might as well sell the H80 and just get a new rad and block to go with the pump and res. There is no point in linear pumps in a single small loop.

Ok thanks for the reply. All I'm wanting to do is cool the cpu better. Maybe someday I'll overclock my video card.
How big of a temperature difference will a new pump, a total of two radiators, a cooling block and a reservoir have on my cpu?

Instead of 2 rads if you go custom get a bigger single rad for less resistance. Depending on the CPU and hardware you purchase it could mean the difference between 10-15c load temps but the H80 is already good enough to handle a good load itself.

OK I'll get a single big one if my case can fit it. I have a Storm Scout so my radiator options are quite limited.
I have another question.
What if I got a Peltier cooler (A low power one. Don't want any frost), a water cooling block for the Peltier, and a heatsink w/ a fan and connected that to my watercooling loop? The Peltier would cool the water a little to make up for the fact I can't fit a huge radiator in my case. The heatsink and fan could be blowing the Peltier's hot air out the side of my case.
Would that make a difference?

Last edited:
I don't have an H80. I was thinking about buying one to go with a socket 1155 motherboard and a 2600k cpu that I'm going to put in place of my socket 775 motherboard and my E5300 cpu. I am planning to do overclocking on that system.
I was looking at reviews for the H80 cooler before posting this thread. I began thinking about "upgrade" possibilities for an H80 (to get the most cooling possible for my money) so I asked about it here before realizing it would be better to get a custom water cooling system.
I should of researched for a little while longer and explained that in more detail before posting but oh well lol.

An H80 is perfectly fine for a 2600k. My best friend has an H80 on his. Actually, unless you are benchmarking there really isn't any need to OC at all.

I kinda want to build my own water cooling system and achieve a high overclock speed for the purpose of bragging rights even though a 5ghz 2600k is uber overkill for anything.
It just sounds better to say "I built my own water cooling system" than it does to say "I bought an H80 unit from newegg"

It's also very expensive costing around half a grand or more to get something that is relatively decent in performs and looks instead of being just complete ghetto. A 2600k is also not guaranteed 5ghz under any circumstances regardless of cooling.

Back
Top Bottom