Faulty fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primulas

Beta member
First off excuse my noobness. :D

I have a PC i assembled about 2 years ago(bare-bones kit project.)

Just recently one of my fans have been very squeaky. Upon closer inspection it's barely even moving; When it does it is slow and squeeks. Now normally i'd just go grab a new fan for 10 bucks and slap it in. The fan squeeking though, is my mobo/cpu fan. I've been running real temp and my temps are running fine. i do have have 3 other fans in the unit, so th4ey must be keeping the system cool enough. I usually don't do anything too taxing on my system. In fact more often then not the fan is not even trying to spin it seems.

So of course i want to fix this. My problem is i am not familiar with connecting/disconnecting and removing this fan. Their are 4 screws around the fan that have springs and appear to go all the way down to the bottom of the mobo.

100_2225.jpg

So how to i change out this fan?

thanks so much in advance.

-Primulas

it looks like...

the 4 screws also holds down that heatsink to your motherboard

so just un-screw the 4 screws, swap out fan, line up the screws with new fan, to the heatsink and motherboard

springs are there to apply pressure for your heatsink to the cpu, for better contact thus better cooling

oh, don't forget to hook up your new fan with power

Is there anything besides the screws holding the fan to the heatsink? or is the fan/heatsink 1 piece? I'm a bit nervous if i have to remove the thermal paste and reapply.

Also i have verified that the fan is most likely just shot. i ran p95 for about a minute and the fan only tried to spin and squeaked. I shut off p95 when my core temps hit 60.

thanks again.

-Primulas

I can't tell if it's one piece or not, by looking at that picture

applying thermal paste is easy though

easy peasy lemon squeasy ;)

just like putting tooth paste on tooth brush
(not quite..... but it's easy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom