Fan placement and Passive Chipset Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll ask in the Linux section. I have Ubuntu on there, unsure how to check temps. I'm sure there is a way.

Edit: OK, I just checked the temp in BIOS.

Fan out: 45C
fan flipped: 40C

So I guess it did do some good. :)

And for the heatsink on the northbridge, I just thought of something, why not use a Heatsink from one of my dead mobos? I took it off the ASUS board. It has lil heat pips going from the southbridge to northbridge, But that should not be hard to cut. They are brass, so I'll find the right tool for it. Once I get that done, I'll do a dry fitting, computer off of course. If it fits all right, I'll get the pads Slay suggested.

IMG_0870.JPG

Almost done with it, need to take a hack saw to cut the pipes sticking out. Just put electrical tape on to protect it from my hand :p
Middle fins are bent to fit in the bar in that secures it to the NB.

what does the other side of it look like? It's usually a bad idea to cut the heatpipes as that's how the heat is transfered to the fins.

Those pipes usually have a coolant in them IIRC. Either way I'd attach a little fan on top for sure. You can get them off old mobos and graphics cards. They're really quiet, so you won't be bothered by it. And yeah it's just a good safety measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom