Fan/cooling upgrade - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Fan/cooling upgrade

Thanks for all the help, I went ahead and got 3 Scythe Kaze fans about 30 min ago and some arctic cooling mx2 compound based on the sticky recommendation. My office case didn't come with a fan on the back (about a yr older than the one here at the house - same case though), so I'm putting one on the back of that and replacing the dead ones on the back and front of my home pc. That sounds like it will take care of me for a long while.

And I don't know that I'm having heating issues, I just loaded my MB's probe II monitor a few days ago just to get a legitimate before and after reading. I haven't gotten into any resource intensive programs tonight yet, mainly replying to e-mails and getting the week lined up, but I don't think I've gone over 46*c that I have seen all night.

If I didn't want my fan back in the garage, I might just leave the 500cfm blower fan sitting in front of the case b/c it seems to be doing a heck of a job.

For my office computer, I was looking at some of the different Lamptron auto speed controllers to keep it as quiet as possible when its not being used aggressively. I hate messing with the little rheostat wheels that came with the case b.c I keep it pretty far under my desk, and even though its not loud, I still don't like hearing it if I'm meeting with a customer in my office. Its near dead silent when I turn the fans down, so it would be nice if it would just do that automatically when the computer wasn't being used to maintain temp and not fan speed. From what I can tell the FC5 and Touch do what I want. Anything I'm missing or do suggest something different or a whole new route altogether?

Thanks

JB Rekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

You could probably achieve that with smartfan or whatever on the motherboard. Check the bios for fan settings.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks, I know there is at least 1 (probably more) 2 pin fan controller location on it. That would be great if I could get them all on there.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Supposed to get the fans today. Haven't checked my office comp to see if the mobo can control the ones for that comp yet, but I have been monitoring my home processor temps and with 28 programs up right now (Autocad, sage, excel, word, pdfs, IE, 30+firefox tabs, etc), I rarely top 50 degrees. Earlier I had all this going plus used handbrake and that got me to 71* which is the hottest I have ever seen it, so I'm thinking I'll be fine with those fans and a dot of new paste.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Build Guru

71c on a Lynnfield doesn't surprise me honestly. Nothing to worry about, especially while encoding.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote