CPU cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero4o3

Baseband Member
I just recently got my new computer up an running, I have an i7-940 on an intel MB, the case I picked was the antec 900 to give you an idea about how much space I have to work with.

I was looking into picking up something that will give me a little but of room to OC would like to ge able to get up to 3.8-4 range.

I was thinking about picking up the corsair H50, I can get it for around 50 new, was planning on mounting the radiator up near the front of the case if possible by the air intake near the top hard drive cage (that I left empty). and setting it up with two high air flow fans, in a push pull setup. But I am open to sugestions.

I recently found this, Megahalems rev. b
megahalems_rev.b

that I can get for free through a vendor at work (when I say "free" I mean it wont cost any money but It will prevent me from getting any more "free" stuff for a couple months.)
But I dont know if this air cool setup is even worth anything.

if you have any other sugestions please let me know I am open to anything that will fit in my case and clear the ram that happens to be right next to the CPU

The Megahalems is a very Good cooler but you'll need at least (1) 120mm fan, (2) for a push-pull. In a room kept around 75F or cooler the Megahalems will let you get to 4 GHz if the Intel motherboard doesn't hold you back.

The Megahalems is a very Good cooler but you'll need at least (1) 120mm fan, (2) for a push-pull. In a room kept around 75F or cooler the Megahalems will let you get to 4 GHz if the Intel motherboard doesn't hold you back.

i ordered 2 120mm 1600 rpm like 100 cfm or something like that fans today because I found them on sale, that way I can do a push/pull setup on what ever I end up getting.

so would you say to go with the megahalmes over the h50? or should I just buy one of the true 120's?

thanks for your input btw

I would go with almost anything over the h50.

The Megahalems and the TRUE are very close competitors, if you can get the Megahalems on Sale I would buy it quickly :thumbsup:

Megahalems is probably 1-2 C cooler than TRUE-120 (difference will be smaller if TRUE-120 is lapped and pressure modded)
TRUE-120 is probably 2-4 C cooler than the H50 (difference will be larger if TRUE-120 is lapped and pressure modded)

H50 for the "water cooling" factor
Megahalems for awesome air cooling.

I would go with almost anything over the h50.

The Megahalems and the TRUE are very close competitors, if you can get the Megahalems on Sale I would buy it quickly :thumbsup:

cool im sold, I was only thinking H50 because I can pick them up for 50 bucks and I was worried about how much room I have in the case.

but I measured and made sure everything will clear and my free megahalems should be here right around the time the two fans I ordered are :thumbsup: I imagine I'm gonna see a huge jump from the stock cooler

It will make a BIG difference. Run HWMonitor or RealTemp continuously with the stock cooler until you get the Prolimatech (it will burn those numbers into your brain). Then install the Megahalems and check your Temps at the same speeds, you'll probably need to make a toilet run :thumbsup:

It will make a BIG difference. Run HWMonitor or RealTemp continuously with the stock cooler until you get the Prolimatech (it will burn those numbers into your brain). Then install the Megahalems and check your Temps at the same speeds, you'll probably need to make a toilet run :thumbsup:

yeah I am excited to get it setup, I just checked the fans I ordered are 110 cfm 120mm should keep everything pretty cool

The Antec 900 is kinda tight and a tall air cooler may not fit if you want a side fan. I got an H50 for that reason and that I move my PC to school and back a lot and wanted something that wouldn't stress the motherboard too much. I got an H50 and actually think it is quite nice, my 930 is running at 3.9GHz (trying to get 4.0 but having voltage and RAM issues, not heat issues) full load at 60C and that's with the stock H50 fan. I'm getting a push-pull 75CFM setup whenever my fans get here.

If you don't mind not having a side fan then any tall air cooler will be a significant improvement over the stock cooler. Mine ran 70-75C full load on the stock cooler at 3.1-3.2GHz which was the highest I could get after some undervolting.

got the new cooler in and setup, dropped my prime 95 temps from the 80+ range down to about 55 at stock settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom