Aircooling OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier

Baseband Member
So after reading many reports of people getting easily 4.5GHz and up on OCing a i7-2600K Sandy Bridge chip on Air cooling, this got me wondering a question.

What would be the best Air Cooling Fan&Heatsink one could use to accomplish such a feat? I was planning to simply go up to 4.1 or 4.2GHz at best, but some head room never hurt anyone!

EDIT - This would be on a ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard, the Case would be an Antec Lanboy Air Modular Case., and the RAM would be G.SKILL RipJaws X.

This If you have a case with enough room.

And also keep in mind depending on what RAM your planning on using, there could clearance issue with the heatsink/fans and RAM. (usually ram with high heat spreaders/fins)

I recommend avoiding a Zalman cooler. How much money do you want to spend, or how much money are you willing to spend?

I'm willing to spend up to $80 for a cooler, but if I have to go $90, I will. $90 however, is my absolute maximum.

I would like to be able to buy a heatsink where the fan comes included with the purchase, if all possible.

Also, I am curious as to why a Zalman cooler would not suffice. Still learning here.

The Zalman would work but other heatsinks will give you more cooling potential per dollar.

Buying a heatsink that comes with a fan is really no different than buying a heatsink and buying a fan separately. And buying your own fan allows you to choose a higher quality of fan.

If I had to buy a heatsink that comes with it own fan/fans I would go with a Noctua heatsink. The Noctua NH-D14 is the King of the Air Coolers (you can read this review of the Corsair H70 as it was tested against the Noctua NH-D14). But the Noctua NH-D14 is very large, monstrous even. The Noctua NH-U12P would be my next choice, Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Heat Sink With 2 Noctua Fans - Socket AM2/AM3/775/1366/1156 - FrozenCPU.com. It's not as large as the NH-D14 and it comes with not 1 but 2 very good fans (quiet ones at that). It should fit in your case with both fans for the best performance, but you can run it with one fan if needed.

NH-D14 beats H70.

@Slaymate
Would you recommend NH-D14 for those who have full tower and push and pull set up to have its full potential although its already push and pull. I'm planning to change my H50-1 I don't know how long this pre-built water cooling will last me but I want to test them both at normal speed of my core i5 (2.66 up to 3.7-4). I tried H50-1 it did pretty well and now I want to try air cooling.

Cons of air cooling:
DUSTY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom