Aftermarket GPU Cooling

Roark

Lord of Bacon
Is there any type of aftermarket blower cooler that you can purchase that is better than the reference design?

I was looking at the 670 Twin Frozr III, but realized I may have some heat issues in my 550D since I plan on leaving the side and top panel closed, which means I should probably be looking at a card that will dump heat out the back.

It looks like the EVGA FTW blower is a bit different from the reference, but not sure if that is just because they rounded the edges or if there is an actual performance difference.
Really wish HIS made Nvidia cards with the IceQ cooler...

the 550D looks like it has a good design, you shouldn't have any heat issues as long as you have good airflow.

and let me tell you, the twin frozr from MSi is a superb design.

No, a cooler that dumps heat out the back, like this:
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
But with more "oomph" than the reference model.

Fat.Clown said:
the 550D looks like it has a good design, you shouldn't have any heat issues as long as you have good airflow.

and let me tell you, the twin frozr from MSi is a superb design.
Yeah the 550D is sexy inside and out, and I love the MSI TF III design.

The problem is airflow in the case, with the top and side panels closed I'll only have 2 intakes (3 if I use the bottom) and 1 exhaust in the rear; though with the positive pressure it will be pushing air out of perforations on the back panel.

Guess I can just get the TF III and see, shouldn't be too hard to find someone who would be willing to straight trade for a FTW if necessary...

I have a case very similar to the 550D
It too, only have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust.
and I don't have any issues with my first generation fermi gtx 465 heat monster (with the twin forzr II design).
on top of that, all 3 of my fans have lowered RPM with 7v resistors...
I did however, take out the top portion of removable hard drive cage.

UWtgL.jpg

Last edited:
No, a cooler that dumps heat out the back, like this:
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
But with more "oomph" than the reference model.

Yeah the 550D is sexy inside and out, and I love the MSI TF III design.

The problem is airflow in the case, with the top and side panels closed I'll only have 2 intakes (3 if I use the bottom) and 1 exhaust in the rear; though with the positive pressure it will be pushing air out of perforations on the back panel.

Guess I can just get the TF III and see, shouldn't be too hard to find someone who would be willing to straight trade for a FTW if necessary...
Nobody makes an aftermarket blower like that to my knowledge.

The 670 FTW looks like that because it's just a cut down 680....literally. Same cooler and board. Notice how that board is longer compared to other 670s.

If you have a good exhaust fan then you shouldn't have any problems with heat.

I have a case very similar to the 550D
It too, only have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust.
and I don't have any issues with my first generation fermi gtx 465 heat monster (with the twin forzr II design).
on top of that, all 3 of my fans have lowered RPM with 7v resistors...
I did however, take out the top portion of removable hard drive cage.
Good to know, I plan on taking out the top HDD cage as well.
Will need to do some noise testing, but plan on using my GT-AP15s in all slots w/o resistors, so I guess it should be dandy.

PP Mguire said:
Nobody makes an aftermarket blower like that to my knowledge.

If you have a good exhaust fan then you shouldn't have any problems with heat.
Didn't know if I was just failing at Google, glad someone else can confirm there isn't an aftermarket blower design.

Define "good" exhaust fan, I currently have 3 options at home:
1650RPM/63CFM Corsair AF120 Performance
1850RMP/58CFM Scythe GT AP15
2000RMP/69CFM CoolerMaster Sickleflow
(or buy a 140mm since it has the mounts for it)

I'll have a P/P setup of the GTs on an air cooler, if that matters.

*Edit
Strike the GT for exhaust, thought I had 5 or 6 but only have 4.
2 are going intake and 2 are going P/P on the cooler.

Last edited:
Either one of those fans would be fine. I have a Sythe Kaze for an intake and some cheapo no name brand a friend gave me in the back. It pushes enough air to make the curtains move behind my PC so guess it's good enough.

Back
Top Bottom