What do you do with a netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
So... In an awesome gesture of niceness... my sister gave me a netbook for x-mas.. samsung N130.. pretty neat little machine.. only one issue, I don't know what to do with it... I have an awesome desktop.. and a pretty decent computer at work... I'm just not sure what I am supposed to use it for? help?

Browse internet, basic flash-app browser based games, check e-mail... Stuff like that. Netbooks are just basic machines for basic computing needs.

surf online, e-mail, use for writing essays and such. It's a lot lighter than carrying a heavier laptop around, plus you have more battery life.

If you have absolutely no need for a portable computing solution, either have her return it or donate it to your church or other local charity. I can assure you that someone who has no computer at all wouldn't mind having one.

I already have a desktop, a server (actually just a second desktop but it makes a good server without keyboard/mouse/monitor), an old desktop I'm using as a home backup server, a newer 17" laptop, an old ThinkPad yet I still got a new netbook (IdeaPad S10) a few months ago and it is now my favorite computer of the bunch. I'm using it right now mainly because it's powerful enough that I can get all my stuff done with it yet it is so tiny compared to my other laptops that it's easy to throw in a backpack and take anywhere. A netbook can pretty much do whatever you want it to do as long as you don't want to play 3d games. I use it for web browsing, checking e-mail, taking notes in class, etc. Since my desktops are at school, I also use my netbook as a "spare desktop" at home by plugging it into my monitor/keyboard/mouse. With an external monitor it is a lot more useful.

I just got a new netbook too (well, got it for mumzie) an IdeaPad S10e I think it was. Like calc said, it's great for chucking in your backpack and bringing everywhere. Great battery life, low weight, great wifi (seriously, the likkle thing beats my Macbook Pro in terms of range).

So... In an awesome gesture of niceness... my sister gave me a netbook for x-mas.. samsung N130.. pretty neat little machine.. only one issue, I don't know what to do with it... I have an awesome desktop.. and a pretty decent computer at work... I'm just not sure what I am supposed to use it for? help?

I used my netbook for the following :-
It part of my tool kit for work as a PC Tech as I can use it for testing internet connections and wireless networks.
Because of it's size, I can fit it in easily with the rest of my tool box for work.

I have also linked my to my TV so I can watch media.

I am also using the netbook as a PDF reader. I got one of my freind that is boasting and raving about his PDF reader. Sure they are cool. However they are over priced for what they do. Down here a PDF reader is about $300. But for $500 I can get an entry level Netbook which will allow me to do much more than just read PDFs.

I just got a new netbook too (well, got it for mumzie) an IdeaPad S10e I think it was. Like calc said, it's great for chucking in your backpack and bringing everywhere. Great battery life, low weight, great wifi (seriously, the likkle thing beats my Macbook Pro in terms of range).

Sounds like you got the newer model with the 6 cell battery.

One thing I am going to chase up for my idea pad is those plastic cases that the Department of Education are using for those Lenovo S10.

Sounds like you got the newer model with the 6 cell battery.

One thing I am going to chase up for my idea pad is those plastic cases that the Department of Education are using for those Lenovo S10.

Yep, I read about too many problems with the older S10. Heat was apparently a big issue, along with the 3 cell battery. The S10e runs much cooler and has the 6 cell battery instead of the 3 cell. Overall I'd say I'm very happy with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom