Upgrading a netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyoumahboy

Beta member
I will begin by saying that I do not know much about computer hardware. (Software, yes. Hardware, no.) With that being said...

So, I was really sick of hand writing notes in class, so I started to bring my big bulky laptop around with me to type them. That did not last long... I am a tiny girl and I need something much lighter. Alas, I started looking into netbooks.

My Uncle just so happened to have one and gave it to me because he despised it. I like it though, it's perfect size for what I need it for. It looks pretty too!

It is an Asus eee PC 1005PE :

Asus Eee PC 1005PEB Specs - Laptops - CNET Reviews

But of course, it has horrible performance. So I was going to upgrade the ram from the whopping 1 gig it had, and then I discovered that it can only handle 2 gigs. :(

I started researching how I could upgrade it, but I'm having trouble finding information other than upgrading its ram. So I joined this forum! :/

If it is possible, I would like to make this a really beast laptop.

I don't want to play games, use photoshop or anything of that nature, but I would like to watch videos and have lots of storage for music, etc. Again, I have never upgraded anything on a computer, so I don't know what I should replace and what can stay.

In conclusion, what are things I should replace? Hard drive? Graphics card?

I know I need to upgrade the ram, but I want more than 2 gigs.

Pleeease help me! :)

Sorry, but all you can possibly upgrade is the RAM and HDD.

You need 667mhz RAM. Sorry, you can only have 2GB max. Netbooks aren't made for high performance.
I never replaced a HDD in a netbook, but I guess its possible. You'd have to open the case to get at it, though. Why not just get an external?
Graphic card is integrated into the motherboard, so you can't change that.

I take it you are running XP on that? I have Ubuntu on my 1005HA. I find it a lot faster than any Windows distro. I had Windows 7 on it at one time, but it kept locking up.

The maximum amount of memory that can be addressed is determined by the memory controller.
The maximum amount that can be installed should be based on the number of DIMM's that can be installed and what capacity DIMM's are available, or by the memory controller (depending on which is smaller)

I don't think there would be a problem in the memory controller not being able to address 4GB RAM. I'd say there being only one DIMM slot is the limiting factor.

just while I'm reading throught this, I was wondering why laptop actually need SO-DIMM RAM aside from the obviously slot sizes?

mostly just the form factor.. it'd be pretty hard to shove a full length ddr3 ram stick into a laptop. possible yes, but far from efficient. But to the OP you're pretty much stuck with upgrading the ram and hdd. do that and throw linux on there and you'll be in much better shape.

I agree Peter. I ran 7 on my netbook, for a time, until it kept lagging. I moved to Linux. Oh **** is this more feature rich...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom