Remote Desktop Connection's Not Cuttin' It HELP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0tal n00b

Beta member
So, I'm having a little problem finding a solution to this anywhere.What I'm trying to do is control my desktop through my netbook. I'm running Windows 7 on both computers. My objective is to be able to sit on my couch and control my desktop that's hooked up to my big screen over my wireless network. I've tried to use the remote desktop connection tool, but when I use that it signs me out of my desktop and only lets me control the computer through the netbook. I basically want to be able to clone my desktop to my netbook. This may be an insanely simple fix and I'm just not seeing it. Like my name implies, I'm new to stuff like this so if I didn't put this message in the right place please don't freak out. Any help is appreciated!

TeamViewer or LogMeIn. Both have lag but should let you do what you want to do.

Yeah, with Windows Remote Desktop, you have to be logged out on the other system. Like Trotter said, those will do what you want to do.

VNC viewer is the solution you're looking for. It's a network admin tool, but I've re-purposed it to remote control computers like that which are hooked up to a TV. It does what Remote desktop doesn't. It lets you view the screen on both your desktop and on the netbook. I know windows remote desktop locks the console out when someone logs in remotely.

On your desktop, install VNC server. I set mine up in user mode with no password. I also set up windows to automatically log in. If you do this, you'll want to ensure that a shortcut is placed into your windows startup folder so VNC server starts each time the computer starts. You can also run it as a windows service, but I never went that far.

Then on your netbook, find the VNC client, install, and use that to view the screen remotely on your netbook and control it. That should be all there is to it.

Edit:

Teamviewer and Log me in strike me as being solutions you want to use over remote connections and for VPN type solutions. I would guess they'd lag pretty badly, even if you use them on your local network. They're definitely easier to set up for a total noob than VNC server though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom