netbook question for netbook users

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_ming

Baseband Member
Everywhere we see now (at least in my region) netbook dominates, almost all the big names got one model. And curiously enough the price ranging from the modestly cheap to the unbelievably expensive (we can get dual core notebook with bigger screen and optic drive for the price of a netbook), yet everyone who is anyone wants to have one.

Is netbook overrated?

Netbooks can be overrated by big named companies doing these fantastic deals on cheap hardware to the normal consumer, the ones that know nothing about specs, just care about price.

The only main reason these are dominating is because of the price. Once the first EEEPC came on the market, I didnt want the small screen, so I waited for the bigger screen. I was greatful I waited.

The only good netbooks out there are the SSD (static state drive) versions. There just incredibly fast, so I suppose if you have a techy side then these really are not overrated, but are to someone who is not techy.

I don't think they are overrated, they are nice pieces of work if you know what you are looking for. For someone that's just looking for an on the go book they are perfect. I wouldn't like anything smaller then a 10" screen though, I think it would drive me crazy if it was smaller. As for the comment on the ssd versions, I'd have to disagree. The ssd's in netbooks right now are usually low quality and are really not much of an upgrade over the non ssd. The only benefit I see is if you want to lessen your boot time by 5-10 seconds or you're just going to be working with small files such as text documents.

Static State and Solid State are the same thing. They both mean no moving parts.

Definition of Static:

motionless: not moving or changing, or fixed in position

From here

Solid State Drive is the official term. But Static State can be used as well cause it essentially means the same thing. The drive have no moving parts like a read/write head.

A lot of people want a more portable laptop as well. The fact that netbooks are only 11 inches long and weigh 3 pounds makes a difference to people that have to carry them around often to work or class or wherever else. I'm considering getting one for college this fall, as I'll be bringing my desktop pc with me, but if I need a laptop for classes, I want one that's not only cheap, but easy to carry.

I'll tell you this... if I did a lot of traveling, I would definitely have a netbook. They aren't powerhouses, but they will run most apps with sufficient speed. They also have good battery life if you get the 6 cell upgrades.

The SSD's have been a mixed bag. There were a few revisions where they were actually slower than the standard harddrive... but I think that was limited to the first EEE series. They offer less space for the same price, but they extend the battery life significantly. It doesn't have to spin up and operate a harddrive motor, so in these situations it is very nice.

And curiously enough the price ranging from the modestly cheap to the unbelievably expensive

One thing that we should not forget about it that there is Netbooks and there is Ultra Portable Laptops.
Both are small and lightweight, it's just that the Ultra Portable Laptop still as the grunt of a normal laptop.

Like compair a spec, features and support between a Toshiba NB100 and a Toshiba Portege some time.

However with the Netbooks becomming more and more populare, it does leave me wondering that the fate is going to be with the Ultra Portable Laptop. The main problem with Ultra Portable Laptops is that they are normally only being used by company excutives that just need a laptop on the go. And all they use a laptop for is Office, Email and internet. Rarely any thing else.

Is netbook overrated?
No
The netbooks is there for the person that just need a laptop just to get online, office and email. For the AU$500 - Au$800 price tag they are going for, they are just perfect to doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom