Netbook Question before Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetahammy

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a netbook and reading some of the other topics, I was thinking of buying the MSI Wind u100-641. I was wondering if there is any reason that I should restrain myself from purchasing it? Mainly because there are gonna be a lot better netbooks in the next couple months or something like that.

And then I was wondering, If I did purchase it I heard you could add on an extra 1 gig of ram. I was wondering any advice on what kind of RAM I should purchase?

And then last question. I was wanting to run Linux on it. I was wondering if it was sold just straight with a Linux OS? and where can I buy it? Or what are the best ways to installing Linux on it without necessarily dualboot? Should I just reformat it and just install? or just dualboot? haha I guess this question is more of just what do you advise?

Thanks in advance!

Don't pay anything for Linux, its open source which means that you can get it for free legally. For linux I would recommended Ubuntu you can download an .iso image from ubuntu.com and use that to install but I don't know how you could do that on a netbook.

k thanks for the linux answer. I guess that should've been obvious. hah!

but any input on the other questions?

Any reason I should hold back on buying it? like completely better models in the next month or so?!

and

for the ram upgrade? 1 gb Sodimm DDR2 667 PC****??? i'm not really sure what to choose cuz i'm not too familiar with technical aspects of it...

About the only reason why I would be holding off is if you want Built-in Latest 3.5G (HSDPA) Solution for 3G Communication. Appart from that, I really don't see much reason to hold off on purchasing a Netbook.

Are the dual core atoms not coming out any time soon?

I have an Intel Channel Partner Launch that i will going to on the 21st May. Intel Atoms will be on the agenda.

I normally go to these to see the CPU Road Maps. I will let you know if intel is announcing any thing.

I am trying to work out if there is really a market demand for dual core atom CPUs.

lol i see i see. Yea, right now I'm not really in the market to use 3g heavily. So actually I went ahead and bought the MSI wind U123. And so far its Great!! I mean I havn't done anything too crazy with it. All i've really done so far is just install all the basic software to Win XP i.e. anti virus and etc. So far with just regular web surfing and minor software installations. The 6 cell battery that it came with lasted about 5-7 hours of use. I forget because it was through several different sessions on several different days.

I still need to add a 2gb ram i bought and turn off the onboard ram on the bios. then i need to dualboot linux on it also. but i've been busy past couple days so havn't had a chance!

I have an Intel Channel Partner Launch that i will going to on the 21st May. Intel Atoms will be on the agenda.

I normally go to these to see the CPU Road Maps. I will let you know if intel is announcing any thing.

I am trying to work out if there is really a market demand for dual core atom CPUs.

I got this little Intel Shingdig happening tonight. They will be talking about the Atom. I will ask if there is any plans for a Dual Core Atom.

There is a dual core Atom already out but it is only available for desktops/ mini itx systems. I'm not sure if there are any plans to release it for netbooks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom