netbook help

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
I'm looking to get a netbook (or even an ultraportable, if the price is right). I will only have a max of like 600 to spend but if at all possible, I would like to not spend that much. I'm in my last semester of school so I do need it to multitask (bunch of web browsers open, word and if possible, music). Speakers would be nice. I don't know about linux. I don't know how to write the code or anything. Would it come with a prebuilt version or how does that work?

Any ideas on netbooks?

Thanks!

battery life: anything with an actual time of 4 or more hours. which shouldnt be hard with a netbook.

color: i would like something a bit unique/stylized instead of just plain.

do they all have wifi-N? any with 2 gb ram? can they all handle what i said above? thanks!

Get an EEE pc and never regret it. I've had mine for almost half a year and it works fantastic. I would specfically recommend the 1000HA or 900HA, I have the 900HA (its tiny).

Oh and if you want unique, get the 900HA... I turn a lot of heads due to its size.

Get an EEE pc and never regret it. I've had mine for almost half a year and it works fantastic. I would specfically recommend the 1000HA or 900HA, I have the 900HA (its tiny).

Oh and if you want unique, get the 900HA... I turn a lot of heads due to its size.

got to agree here. i got my EeePc 900 a year ago...and i've put that thing through ****, it lives in my backpack with about 7 books..i've dropped it quite a few times as well....amazing signal on the wifi. I also get about 4.5hrs on battery with screen @ 50% brightness ......i love it lol

thirded on that eee pc... Just got mine a month ago and It is a little beast.
Get the 10.1" screen with the 160gb hdd imo. It's the 1000 something model.

If you are not a fan of the eee pc though, get the MSI Wind... it's essentially the same thing and I know someone who has one and enjoys it. Be warned if you get a black eee pc that finger prints get all over it. I happen to like it though because it lets me know when someone touched my netbook! Sneaky people in this house.

battery life: anything with an actual time of 4 or more hours. which shouldnt be hard with a netbook.

color: i would like something a bit unique/stylized instead of just plain.

do they all have wifi-N? any with 2 gb ram? can they all handle what i said above? thanks!

You might want to pick up an MSI Wind U100

MSI Wind U100
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1.3M Webcam, 10.1 Display, Wireless N, Bluetooth, 6-Cells, Win XP & International Warranty

Check retailer in your area as I live in Australia. The only thing that i don't like about MSI Laptops/Netbooks is that MSI does go crazy with the Void if Removed stickers. This means that if you want to upgrade your ram or hard drive, you will void your warranty in doing so.

My experience with the netbook is that it pays to purchase the larger display. I originally had an Aspire Aspire One with 8.9" Display. I did not mind the display. However the size of the keyboard made it rather hard to touch types. After using it for a month, I upgraded to an Lenovo S10 and have been rather happy with it. However I did have the older model with the 3 Cell Battery. Currently i am picking up a 6 cell battery just so I can have longer battery life.

Displays. Not sure what your preference is, but I fnd the non-glossy displays are much better on a Netbook. I use my netbook for reading PDFs and CBR files. I found that a glossy display on my Acer Aspire One made things hard to read. Not the case with the Lenovo S10.

Also, unless you have a second computer and know how to share a CDRom/DVD Rom, I would suggest that you purchase an external Optical Drive. You can either go for some thing USB Powered if you are going to be on the go all the time. Or you can purchase a 5 1/4 External USB Drive Enclosure with normal desktop DVD Burner in it. This is what I did as I have a spare DVD Burner that I was not using.

I have the Acer Aspire One 8.9 inch. I love it. I use it for travel. Lightweight and full power of a laptop. XP Home comes loaded. 160 Gb hard drive with the Atom processor. I have gotten 5 hours on mine with the 6-cell battery. Wi-Fi works great anywhere you can find it. I love it and have not had a single problem. Highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom