netbook hard drive upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigen

In Runtime
I recently just purchased a Asus n10j netbook and im looking into upgrading the hard drive. Either to a 7200rpm
Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives
or some sort of SSD

is the SSD drive going to be worth it because of the limitations of the netbook's motherboard?
is it worth the extra 100-200 dollar price tag?

I was looking at the OCZ solid line
Newegg.com - OCZ Solid Series OCZSSD2-1SLD120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II Solid State Disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

gskills also have a slightly cheaper one...I don't know much about ssd so any suggestions... help. thanks

Why not go for an external Hard drive? that way you can just add on to what you already have instead of having to replace one.

because if your getting a netbook, it's probably very likely for portability, and a external is kinda annoying to haul around. cables and such, even though the WD Books are pretty small, rather just have a 10" netbook.

And to OP, no the SSD's are probably not worth it in the netbook, if you want a HDD upgrade, get the scorpio, even though they have moving parts, I take it that your not going through the jungle with your netbook right? for everyday use, a HDD will be more practical for the $/GB, if your going to be bouncing around, SSD's are good because they are Solid State Drives and have a less likely chance to have something break from vibrations.

I just thought that SSD have finally dropped to pretty affordable prices. Windows 7 LOVES ssd, no moving parts so they run cooler and use less power...battery life will benefit.

A faster hard drive will generate more heat and consume more battery life. Both are less than desirable on a netbook. I recently read some reviews of SSDs, and the performance test results were not really that outstanding. Also, not all SSDs are equal. Some definitely outperform others.

Well maybe affordable by your standards ;) but I still can't shell out that much money even though they are really nice performers, I'm really hoping that they drop another 10~30% over the summer so when I get back from over seas I can nab one if I haven't already for my OS/games.

well i read a freaking 30 page review/information of SSD. seems to me they have a lot of issues, but by the end of the article he recommends either the intel really expensive one, or the ocz vertex series. So here are my choices:

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

with a external hard drive for movies/games.

or

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom