Netbook going to cut it? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks > Netbooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Netbook going to cut it?

Hey all. I've currently got a 18" hp laptop, and I'm in the market for something I can carry back and forth to class a little more convieniently with a decent battery life. The wave of netbooks have caught my attention, mostly because of their compliance with my wallet.

All I'm looking to get out of it would be a word processor and a compiler. I was told that the cost friendly netbooks don't come with the power to compile, but these statements came across as more of a guess. Guess my question is:

(1) Can the netbooks out handle word processing and compiling?

and, if not:

(2) Is there a lightweight alternative that CAN handle this stuff and not add a terribly large amount to at the register?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Netbook going to cut it?

I have an eeepc. It's great. I'm not so sure about the compiling, but word processing is amazing. I hate those high priced laptops that aren't worth crap. If you're like me and are all about portability, you can not go wrong with a netbook. it really depends on what type of compiler you're running. If it's a stripped down compiler, and that's it... you should be just fine.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't think the compiler would be too taxing, probably Eclipse or Dev c++, depending on what language the professor has decided to use. Either way, I wasn't planning on adding much more than (maybe) an online poker program and a browser. Multitasking won't be an issue so I didn't think I would be bogging it down.

Any evidence to the contrary would still be appreciated, otherwise I'll probably go ahead and purchase one within the next couple days.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Just make sure you get a higher end netbook. Compiling does take some power, however I don't think in class compiling will be anything it can't handle... but you'll love it... which one are you looking at getting?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I hadn't given it much thought, I wanted to be sure looking in depth was worth my time before I invested much time. Any suggestions on who has the edge in the netbook world?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

Im posting this from an Eee Pc right now, and i absolutely love it. You will love a netbook as well for class for its portability. As for compiling, you shouldn't have any problems on say an Eee Pc 1005HA and dev C++( i would definitely say that Asus has the edge in the netbook world with better battery life and quality). Now keep in mind that while you will be able to compile, the netbooks only push a 1.6 ghz Intel Atom processor...So it wont be nearly as fast as on say your quad core desktop.

I use my Eee for pretty much everything when im not at home, written tons of papers for class and the like and it's always served my needs quite well. Haha one benefit that i didn't know when i bought it is that it's a total chick magnet...seriously....i've gotten more dates because some girl thought my computer was "cute" hahaha....i think you'll do well with a netbook....good luck with your programing classes!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I really appreciate the feedback. I've noticed the specs on processing power, and have set my expectations accordingly. I've been planning on transferring unused items off of the netbook, pretty much using it for currently projects/papers only. Really the increase in portability (over the heavy 18") is far worth the loss in processing power when travelling via bike. I'll look into Asus within the week.

Again thanks for the feedback, it's been a huge help!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

any time! have fun with you're new netbook!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

The new Asus netbook Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1008HA-PU1X-BK Pearl Black Intel Atom N280(1.66GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks is a really good one for the price. My friend is actually in the same position as you are with the dv6 HP laptop and he doesn't wanna carry it around to class to take notes and stuff so he's gonna get a netbook.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

This MSI gets you very similar hardware to the Asus for a lower price.

Newegg.com - MSI Wind U123-001US Intel Atom N280(1.66GHz) 10.2" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

I have an earlier version of the Wind with the N270 and I am extremely happy with it.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Closed Thread