Netbook - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks > Netbooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Netbook

I'm looking to buy a netbook. I want to spend about $250. From the research I've done it seams they are all 1.6 atom processors, 1GB of memory, and a 160 HDD. I would like to find something with HDMI out and a screen larger then 10". I'm also wondering why there is such a large difference in price from company to company when the hardware seams to be the same. I'm sure i will bounce between vista, 7, xp, Ubuntu, and hackintosh, so thats something else to keep in mind if you have a suggestion.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to SThompson86 Send a message via MSN to SThompson86 Send a message via Yahoo to SThompson86
Default Re: Netbook

I considered getting one of these for Christmas, I had my eye on the ASUS 1005HA its more than you are wanting to spend though it had the best Atom Processor, but it came with XP. from what I read netbooks will probably work better with XP since it takes so much more computing power for Vista and W7. The Asus also had a Wireless N technology.

You may want to consider a mini laptop. For me a netbook was just to weak, and I was afraid that I would become aggravated with it, due to its very small performance level. Once I read that they can barley play you tube videos in HD.. i said forget it.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

I think a lot of it has to do with what hard drive you choose, quality of the screen and what OS you are getting. If you are getting windows 7 then that is like 80 dollars saved right there. As for the hard drive i see some with SSD and others with platter drives (what most people have right now), there is another difference in price. The last being the screen quality, with something like a netbook you really need to see what type of resolution you can get out of those small screens. it is bad enough they are really small, but then to deal with one that has horrible quality really stinks.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

You're sacrificing performance, features, and abilities for the size.
I don't think netbooks screens can handle HD content very well (I guess thats were the HDMI comes in). If you're going to just attach it to a flat screen and not run around with it your're kind of missing a point of netbooks.
My friend actually did put hackintosh on it, which worked pretty well. I never tried or used it though.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to SThompson86 Send a message via MSN to SThompson86 Send a message via Yahoo to SThompson86

Netbooks are kinda like oversized cell phones. Like a cell phone, the netbook only does basic things.

I was going to get one to take notes in class. but i like the price of pens and paper over a netbook *jokes* ha
Old 11-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Egg, what are your intentions of use and expectations for the netbook?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

So I went with a mini 10, I'm using it at the moment I love it my only beef is that the keys dont light up. I just need to know how I can keep my torrents downloading when I close the screen.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

there should be an option under power options (in the screensaver tab in display properties) that asks what to do when the lid i closed..

500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Closed Thread