HP Mini Black screen w/ cursor

Chasee

Baseband Member
A friend of mine's HP Mini is not booting up, and only showing a black screen w/ the cursor.

I have tried looking for problems, and windows found none.

Also, I have tried running a system restore 3 DIFFERENT TIMES, and each time an hour or so passes and it just says "restoring files", I have had to shut the computer down and try again over and over.

My last option is to factory reset the computer and back up the files on the computer, yet the computer doesn't have a disc drive or anything.. do I need an external hard drive to do this?

Thanks for the help!

Have you tried running a chkdsk /f /r on the drive?

I'm assuming Win7 is on this machine since you never stated what OS it has on it.

You can download a Win7 ISO (get the correct version for whatever key he has... should be a COA sticker with the Windows license key on the bottom of the laptop):
Legal Download from DigitalRiver: Windows 7 SP1, 13 languages

Then you can create a bootable USB drive using Microsoft's USB Tool: Microsoft Store

You can run the chkdsk from the recovery options of the bootable USB if you can't get to it through the current Startup Repair that's on the laptop.

Hey Carnage, thanks for the reply! You're always so helpful on these forums. They're blessed to have you.

I ran chkdsk, startup repair, and attempted sysrestore over 3 times with no avail.

Finally, my last option was to backup the data and recover the factory settings, which is what ultimately worked.

You can close the thread, thanks for the help sir!

No problem, glad to hear you got it sorted.

And thanks, it's what I'm here to do ;).

No problem, glad to hear you got it sorted.

And thanks, it's what I'm here to do ;).

Haha, I sure did!

Not to get off topic, but I'm not sure if you have seen my posts about getting into an entry level position.. but I actually landed a job as a Computer Technician at a small electronic repair store in my town! Awesome right?!

Back
Top Bottom