First time buyer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks > Netbooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default First time buyer

Im looking into netbooks for my sisters (its their birthday). They dont do gaming all to much but they are heavy itunes/rahpsody, internet radio, youtube users. They also would use these for using Office/OpenOffice, and other tools for school. Now ive done as much research as possible, and ive come to the conclusion that the Asus Eee Pc is a great (some say undisputed champion) of netbooks. Im torn at the moment between the 1015PN and 1015B models. They both have some sort of graphics processing muscle (AMD's Fusion, and the other having a ION discreet chip. I would like them to be able to do a little gaming (the netbooks) only cause my sisters are just now entering the teen ages and who knows what they will get into, so a little gfx muscle cant hurt. I have a feeling that the Intel might be a better choice than the AMD, but not by much. Let me know what your thoughts are, im open to anything you guys got.

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: First time buyer

All of ASUS is good. I had a Eee 1005HA before. Sold it to a friend on TF. It was a nice little thing to carry around. A godsend from my old Dell 15" laptop.

I'd personally get the 1015PN. It has a dual-core Atom vs a single core AMD. The ION is slightly better than the 6250.

/ASUS fanboyism

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Rock Solid. Heart Touching... Who isnt a fan of Asus?

My thoughts were the same. Now ive heard that there are problems with Microsoft Silverlight (example: what Netflix uses instead of say flash), concerning the use of ION. Also, ive read that the reinstall from the Starter -> Home Edition messes with the ION in such a way that it doesnt switch back and fourth between the discrete ION and the onboard gpu. Are these isolated incidents?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

From what I read it is only with HD videos.

Pretty sure you can change between it with NVIDIA Control Center.